[moved] Braking hard

Guest couzens

I have quite an interesting experience whenever I brake hard at speeds 80 + mph. Just wondered if there was something wrong or do all MK 3's suffer the same.

Upon braking quite hard at that speed, the front near side always dips down first rather fast, bounces up resulting in a front end fish tailing effect. Its possible to control but if I hit some fluid or ice chances are the car would crash. With the Mk 2 and most cars, the bonnet usually just dips. The steering also becomes slightly light as well at this point.

At first I thought it was the dodgy standard shocks that were causing it. All the suspension is now changed, but it happened again the other day.

Could it be something to do with the brakes/ABS; perhaps the left is sharper than the right? or is this another feature of the crap design of this car where they're stuffed a big engine into a body without really thinking?

If any one has the same experience, let us know or where I should look for possible answers

Simon

[ Edited ]

sounds like a def problem! could be a bush but this normally would pull the car to one side as well! do you have that symptom? could be a sticky front caliper applying the brake a fraction later on one side, or an abs sensor on its way out, having the same affect! it needs looking into tho to stop you going ditch bound in a late braking manouevre, something which could happen to any of us at any time! STOPPING ABILITIES ARE NOT WORTH TAKING RISKS WITH!

how about this one then, my pads ar warped, i know this due to judder under braking, but my pads seem to be in contact with my discs at all times, as tho i have the pedal pressed slightly. doesnt effect braking yet, but does make a lot of noise when slowing down, especially in revers when braking. just starting to do my head in. lol.

Guest couzens

Could it be the wheels/tyres by any chance. Have just done a test drive with different wheels/tyres and the old git on board and it didn't happen despite numerous attempts to crash the b*tch

well ive replaced wishbones full suspension kit all engine mounts brand new wheels and tyres and new pads and discs and under high speed breaking im having a similar problem only thing ive left to try is breakfluid which is pretty rough mud colour if this does not sort it im gonna chuck it on me mates brake rollers to check the balance.

seems crazy to me but ive just been on 500 mile round trip as i set off i popped into my local petrol garage filled up and thought id check tyres they was all a bit different only 1 or 2 psi but they was down round the 30 psi area i stuck all 4 on 35 psi and it seems to have cured my prob car now brakes straight even from 140 he he. seems mad that this could be prob but worth a look only takes couple ov mins.