Ibiza VR6 Turbo progress pics

header.jpg

As promised, here some piccies of the progress on the Ibiza. For those that dont know, in pursuit of something a little different, we put a 2.8 12v VR6 into a 1994 2l 8v ibiza last october. This was great fun for a while, but the quest for BHP always continues....

Heres the story so far...:

So, first things first, we replaced the timing chains and guides, and on went the copper gasket

gasket.jpg

while the box was off, we had a little play with the ratios, popped in a 3.6 final drive and the all important Quaif ATB diff

box.jpg

And a stronger clutch

clutch.jpg

After sourcing a decent quality RHD fitment manifold, on she went, coupled with a T04E turbo, and external wastegate. Heres a pic of it assembled off the car, and with it all bolted up:

turbo.jpg

fitted1.jpg

Made up the downpipe. To get it right we made it up from a mix of straight cuts and angled sections. Its coming off soon to be made up properly to shape in one peice. There are no flanges on this pic, but we are using V band flanges.

downpipe.jpg.

In went bigger injectors, and the engine went back together.

Next thing then was boost pipes. There isnt a huge amount of room in the ibiza, and with the rad mounted on the front panel, working it all out was tricky.

For a better fit, we made up a bracket bolted to the front cross member. The radiator and intercooler were then mounted to it. since these pics its been tidied up and painted.

so on with the pipes. All pipes are made from sections and bends of 316 stainless, they are more complicated and a little longer than nesecary, but we tried to get them to look nice too. At the end of the day, your gonna see, em, so may as well make them as neat and tidy as possible, therefore theres a distinct lack of silicone and as much shiney stuff as poss.

We measured them all out and tacked them together, them matt bravely donned his welding mask and re-appeared some time later with some pukka pipes and a nice suntan.

Although i quite like the welded look, they will be taken off and polished up to a nice shiney finish.

vrpipe2.jpg

vrpipe3.jpg

vrpipe1.jpg

Again, were going to get these made up from fewer sections so that they can be easily replicated. The boost pipe kit off the car looks like this:

vrtpipes.jpg

So thats it so far. car is up and running. did a fair few miles in it on friday and saturday. We currently are only using 5psi of boost, to get everything checked out, even so its a bit of a monster!

Next job is to up it to 1 bar, then the proper mapping begins. Lastly the pipes all get polished, the AP racing 330mm brakes go on and it gets a bit od a spruce up from the paintshop.

Will post more pics soon!

Tom.

im assuming thats my old manifold? guess it went to good use then? man your put that together well. also guess the downpipe was of no use to you? looking good' date=' you fancy popping back up and helping me with mine, lol.

[/quote']

Er.... no... not me i'm afraid.

These are new manifolds, can supply em delivered to your door for £270 for those that are interested..

Will definatly be at a couple of shows this year i think, Car will be there if i get round to getting it painted soon!

awesome job

i could be asking you to do some intercooler piping for me soon

No probs, send me a mail as and when.

VR6Carlo - Next batch of manifolds will be ready in a week or two - PM sent with the details

Tom.

• 1 month later...

[blockquote]Er.... no... not me i'm afraid.

These are new manifolds, can supply em delivered to your door for £270 for those that are interested..[/blockquote]

wat turbos can fit on this and wat sort of power u getting hp/torque

thanks

Its a T3 flange. Good cheap turbo would be a T04 - t3 turbine and t4 compressor - older style journal bearing. you can get these for around £200.

A more expensive option would be something like a GT35R ball bearing turbo - more like £1200.

The older journal bearing turbo's are quite adequate, as your not really pushing them very hard.

If you've got fuelling to match, and a good map, your looking at about 400bhp at 15psi. 15 psi is no real stress for a standard engine - just lower the compression and make sure your engines healthy.

Theres a few VRT's in the state putting down 450+ at the wheels with about 25 psi, but for that sort of boost you really should be looking at a built bottom end and the more expensive ball bearing turbos.

Tom.

the turbo starts to come in at 2500 and hits 7psi at 3000 and full boost at 3500, so once in second gear there is no lag as the revs are allways at the right level to hit full boost as you change up.

in the lower gears yes especially with a low compression engine

the ball bearing turbo will hit boost faster about 500 rpm sooner,£1200 would be money well spent