Stealth Racing has done it again!

What's it like to drive with front wheel drive? Do you have to take it easy going round corners? Are you using one of Vince's 'rechips' which allow the standard ecu to be remapped? Would 268 cams be able to be used in your set up or is the limit 248 cams?

Very nice car... just wish I had £5k spare to get a set up like yours. :)

Whats the mileage of your engine by the way? Did vince recommend uprating any of the internals or lowering the compression?

What's it like to drive with front wheel drive? Do you have to take it easy going round corners? Are you using one of Vince's 'rechips' which allow the standard ecu to be remapped? Would 268 cams be able to be used in your set up or is the limit 248 cams?

Very nice car... just wish I had £5k spare to get a set up like yours. :)

Whats the mileage of your engine by the way? Did vince recommend uprating any of the internals or lowering the compression?

Try reading the hole tread, most of the answers are there

Hi mate. I have already read the 'whole' thread before I posted my question. There aren't any answers as to the drivability with front wheel drive. Nor any to whether Vince recommends fitting an 8:5:1 lower compression in the future to make things reliable long term.

Unless you've read something I haven't? :)

The front end is rather aggressive from 4 psi upwards! she tears the sh*& out of the tyres in the wet! saying that its just a question of getting the balance right.. I'm slowly getting used to it. The helix fast road clutch helps.

Corners never were the mk3's forte however the fk highsport coilovers, and strut brace hold the front end quite firmly, again acceleration out of roundabouts in the wet is really quite interesting!

Vince completely remapped the ecu and spent many hours getting it right.

268's are deffinatley far too leary for a charged Vr, I have a set for sale if ne 1's interested. After last years attemts to get the power failed, we have reverted back to standard cams!

The engine has done 66,000 miles and is in pretty good condition, whilst it has been out of the car the head was crack tested etc...

The internals are standard apart from the flywheel that has been lightened & balanced

Hope that helps! :)

i think i will be speaking to vince about the 12psi pulley,no maf and remap. !lol .hope that an extra 3.5psi should pull some more 'useable 'power out of the vr. 8) .is 350bhp attainable safely with 12psi pulley or can u go smaller?

These Vortech blowers are good for 20 psi (maybe more on the older V1/V2?) so go for it!! :-) I think VF have launched a 12V 15psi kit which is good for 400hp apparently.

Since the charger delivery is linear, there is no sudden gob of torque to wreck the drivetrain like with a turbo. The peak torque is much higher up (around 5000rpm) by which time the car will already be rolling at a fair lick, so should be fine. I suspect a regularly tracked Stage 3 or higher might impose some gearbox issues, but on the road you should be OK.

Something else that's worth noting, more than 12psi will probably cause belt slip, but VF have produced a direct drive pulley kit and some other place have done a toothed belt drive too.

Vince was saying he had to take 11 degrees out of the timing on Jake's engine, so that's another concern - pinking, on standard CRs.

If exceeding 10 or 12psi, it's probably a good idea to drop the CR. For me personally, the benefit of a smaller pulley will be getting boost sooner. I'm not interested in whanging the motor round to 7K to get peak boost, mine makes 290 at 6100rpm as it is, which is generally where I change when going for it, so a smaller pulley giving more grunt between 3 and 6K would be perfect :-)

Ok, Sorry for the delay guys, That is a green light for no MAF!

Totally faultless on a cold start, you wouldnt even know there was no MAF.

and yeah, i shed a belt the other day, but it was last years and so i'm temporarily running a 5 tooth rather than the 6. That belt is slipping at 8.5 - 9 psi, i'll be getting the right belt for the wekend, so will update u on that question!

Wahay!!! Absolutely top dollar Jake, just the answer I've been waiting for!

Tom, Jakes engine must be OBD2 (4 wire) as Vince hasn't mapped an OBD1 charged VR yet.

Belt slip - not good. Just ordered the 10psi pulley! I'll hunt through Continental's belt application list and find a 7 rib one of the right size I think.

I must stress that no MAF should only be done if the mapping has been altered to compensate for running only on the Lambda sensor (I think). The only reason my MAF was removed was because the fuelling was really spasmodic and vince couldnt get a set point. basically once set it would suddenly completely change & the only way we solved it was to disconnect the offending unit.

Thats what i was thinking. The map references engine load versus revs, and then uses compensation maps to adjust for afr, temp etc.

I dont see how the map can run properly when you remove the load input - ie the maf. Only thing it can be doing is using a small part of the main map - ie the rev range with no load, and adjusting the fuelling using the compensation map of the lambda.

Interesting stuff.

Sorry guys, not a faulty MAF, we tried a 2nd unit but still the same behaviour...? i'm tellin u, Vince was about to give me a lift to the train cos it was the end of the day and he had tried everything else. Oh and I'm sorry but i havent actually mentioned Jon, who, without him on side, vince & I would have been there much much later ;)

DUB50K: Good to have another southerner on side! what sort of power you hopin to pull out of that mental mk2?

The figures speak for themselves regarding dropping the MAF. The ECU can obviously run the engine without a MAF easily enough, I mean they die often enough don't they? It seems that Vince's software allows him to circumvent the MAF tables altogether and just focus on the low, mid and high fuel tables alone, which seemed to work in this case......but I spoke to him yesterday when he was working on another Stage 3 Golf and the MAF'less map wasn't working......bum holes....:-(

I dont want to hi-jack this thread as the results seen with this supercharger setup are very good! Well done!

I will try and keep my answer to some questions aimed at me short!

First Thanks for the nice comments about my Golf, It is quite a toy!lol My car is currently running on a measly 8psi (Dyno run back in 2003 at 300bhp and 310lb/ft), but this is soon to go up as JKM are hopefully getting a nice new 'Dyno Dynamics' rolling road very soon, and the car is going to get alot of time on it!

It will shortly be running about 14-15 Psi. I am hoping to see anything from 350bhp & 350 lb/ft....As most guys on here with modified cars will say will say, you will have to wait and see though 8)