A tapped ABS light should have failed the MOT! Unless you made it look like there was no ABS at all.

My suggestion, which I'm likely to use on my valver, is to disconnect the ABS lamp and bridge across from the Airbag warning lamp.

Lamps come on, Lamps go off, Lamps come on, Lamps go off...

TG

can i just warn all members that the mot has gone computerised and on the cheak list there is now a reminder to cheak the abs light operation as this IS PART OF THE TEST ! IT also list operation ie how long it takes to turn off for each type of model. Just letting u know as im a tester myself .

more than likely a abs sensor fault the front sensor carriers are aluminum and expand crushing the sensor as they rust . best bet is to get it onto a code reader i would say will atleast point u in the right direction. ps if it is a sensor u need to remove the old witch is harded than it sounds then clean up the suface in the hub i found a wire brush on a drill or a fine stone to work best {carefully with stone } u need to do this to get the sensor to fit correctly if it does not sit flush the air gap will be incorect causing incorect readings and bring the light on again . hope this is a little help

Sometimes the testers dont notice specially if light doesnt come on at all and there is no test on actual abs but oficially light should come on when started and go straight off if this doesnt happen the car should fail its mot as this is part of mot those of you who have got away with it are very lucky .

A tapped ABS light should have failed the MOT! Unless you made it look like there was no ABS at all.

My suggestion' date=' which I'm likely to use on my valver, is to disconnect the ABS lamp and bridge across from the Airbag warning lamp.

Lamps come on, Lamps go off, Lamps come on, Lamps go off...

TG

[/quote']

That is exactly what I did when the ABS pump on my old VR6 stopped working. I simply poked the bulb for the airbag light through the hole for the ABS light, then taped the circuit board into place. The airbag system is NOT checked on an MOT and the airbag light behaves exactly as the test expects the ABS light to behave.

This is far preferable to playing around with the ABS system itself, which could affect the reliability of your brakes.

I replaced the ABS pump with a second-hand one in the end and all was well, but I never would have been able to drive the car to the scrappy, and then the workshop to have it fitted, without an MOT!

I would say u have been luck if u got away with that . The TESTER MUST cheak that all switches and warning lights that need to work him self . I if this is the case what else has he missed !! ! is ure car safe thats what i would be asking myself . maybe u do all ur own work but if u dont then how do u know ? it his job to pic up the little things as well as the big ones . I have ben testing for over 5 years and i do know how easy it is to miss things so u have to stay switched on as its not just a test it could be some ones life . :((

• 2 weeks later...

mine almost failed last year on an abs light that wouldnt go out! then it did! been on vag com and it says n/s/r wheels sensor, it came back on after the mot and the lights been on since!!! next job to do!!!! as said above the mot`er should check every warning safety device, if they dont its not worth getting an mot!!!!!

• 1 month later...

took my vr to a workshop to get my mot done and fix my abs,thinkin it was sensor.the new sensor didnt work but the guy who was doing it passed my car and it should had failed but cos they failed to fix my abs he passed it.still gotta fix it

and i went to all the effort of getting a timer relay and wiring it in as cant seem to get my bulb to even come on and yes i have checked the bulb!!!

also no fault showed up on the vagcom and the abs does work any idea why??

Possibly a break in the circuit between the ecu and the bulb. At least your system works though.

Can't believe so many people think it's acceptably good crack not to have ABS. Asking for trouble in my h o. All I can suggest is that if you're running no abs try to fit sharper brake pads on the front discs than the rear. Then at lease you'll retain a little straight line stability if some blind get pulls out of you while you're tooling it down an a-road.

The VR's the first car I've had with ABS and I think it's an awesome invention. Previously I thought it was just for softies who can't drive. My GTi stopped frikkin rapidly if you stepped on it, but looking back to that and previous cars I've driven, there have been a few near misses that ABS would have prevented. Fortunately nobody got hurt.

Apologies for being a grumpy old get - I'm still at work and I'm due in again for 7am tomorrow. Good luck.