The hubs actually wear down on inner edge where they meet with driveshafts and cause the bearings to wear quicker i always replace hubs at same time as bearings now because it saves this problem reoccuring you can get new hubs from eurocarparts for approx £30+v.a.t and this will stop the bearings wearing so quick .Thats if you are talking about fronts anyway.

purple thats caused by overtightning mate and whoevers it was it must have been humming its sack off they should only be done up to just a fraction past finger tight any tighter and this can be the result as you said as i said in my previous post if its humming change it as this means bearing is knackered but as i said the rears are tapered and can have play after 100 miles or less sometimes its just the way they are aslong as you dont overtighten a non humming bearing and just adjust it up to just past finger tight you will not have this prob .

update, the noise is unbearable, it's loaduer than my exhaust which is saying something!!

it is making a wo,wo noise (sorry only thing I can think of!!) from 10mph and just gets louder the fast I drive. Make a little more going around corners, could it be the CV boot???

that sounds like a really dead bearing mate jack car up and spin wheel if its that bad it should still sound rough as feck and there should be play in it and id advise getting it sorted P D Q cos you could end up knocking other bits out around it and no it doesnt sound like cv to me mate they rattle not hum.