EEEK!!! ... shrick VSR vaccum hose problem...

I been fitting my manifold over the weekend, and just been out for the `road thrash`.

I found that the torque it produces from 2500 rpm - 4000 is a major increase (it deff. feels like it anyway :P ). EXCELLENT!!! , but above 4k, it was very flat!!! :( .. so I turn`d around and came home sulking wondering what the feck i`d done!!!

After going over every thing that i`d done, i came across an air leak from the tank to the switching valve..

I don`t know if anyone else has had the same problem or not, but i guess there should have been 2x bore sizes of pipe suplied as it`s too big, and causes a loss of vaccum, and only just open`s the switching flap!!

I had to replace the pipe with `059 130 329` vaccum hose ..

much better ... :P:P !amazed

... and this is the finished article.. http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL149/1123481/2605690/52646162.jpg

[ Edited ]

[ Edited ]

[ Edited ]

It is a major improvement on throttle response, as all you must be aware that the vr isn`t as responsive as a 8 or 16v..

.. and the throttle response continues strongly up to around 4k, then it starts to rev real hard.

A great way to spend £1100.. should have done years ago .. ;)

u can get blue ignition lead from splitfire, (most performance shops) ive got some on mine and they seemed ok for a while, but ive noticed theyve been touching the inlet manifold just above the plug, and split... gggrrr. lucky im not misfiring yet. beru goin on this week.

Those leads look like Blue Igniters. Got some on mine.

I didn't have a problem with the hose diameters, they seemed OK. The larger of the two outlets on the purge tank was a bit of a squeeze though. One problem I have got is a binding flap in the manifold though....it 'catches' at about the 8 O'clock position. Could I be the first for a warranty replacement? Sigh...

Do you get a loud whooshing noise from the manifold at idle? Especially when cold? It sounds like the old Idle valve noise damper, only louder and it's inside the manifold..... not heard a Schrick do that before.....

K

Yer, there blue igniter`s, i got them from C & R.

One of my originals broke down, and a single lead VAG was around £15, so i got some quantum leads from G & S, and 2 started arching out after a couple of months..

So i replaced them with Blue igniters, and i am sure they where the same price as the quantum, around £60 ish..

I havn`t noticed any odd noises on idle.

What does your change over feel like when its happening??

It might just be me, but on full chat, it`s VERY noticable

Should it be?? i was expecting a smoother change like the 4-motion.. :|

Dont get me wrong though....... I LOVE IT!! 8o)

I don't really notice the changeover to be honest. I never give my VR full throttle but there didn't seem to be any interruption in power flow at 4000.....

Vince did say that some engines will take to the Schrick better than others, so perhaps your noticable change-over is indicative of a rechip being required? If not already done....