Fit arches to a highline?

I've just bought my highline (from Mangold).

The arches are in good condition at the moment but I'm considering getting some GTi arches and fitting them for long term paint protection/anti rust purposes.

I'd probably rub them smooth and paint them to match.

Would that be a good thing to do, or a bad thing?

Or, are there any alternatives, like an aftermarket arch and lip liner to protect this area?

I think as long as you look after the paintwork ie: wash & polish it & generally love it you shouldnt have any problems - from what I've seen, rust isnt that much of a problem on later cars but I do think you will be frowned upon for fitting the Gti arches to your Highline! People usually cant wait to take them off!

Why would you want to do this when most people want to take the arches off? The plastic arches would just end up scratching the lovely paint work on the car!

Also you would need to fit the plastic sills too as the arches would look odd without them!

I've got smooth colour coded arches on my Highline, it wasn't done by me, but in the year I've had it, I haven't felt the need to rip them off, I quite like how it looks.

I say go for it, it can't do any harm, and if you decide you don't like it, it's easy enough to take them back off.

To be honest mate, I don't like them with the arches on, particularly on the Highline version. They make the car look wider and cluttered, and it can tend to make the wheels look lost in the arches. Obviously this is just my opinion, and at the end of the day its your car now, and you have an idea of what you want it too look like! It'd be boring if we all thought the same!

As for the rust/protection issues, Vince(Mangold) is a meticulous cleaner of cars and I know for a fact that VR has had several cans of waxoil coated all over it! So that shouldn't be a problem!

Simon.

Wow, didn't realise what a can of worms this might be!

I'm a rust-o-phobe tbh, I hate rust with a passion and having exposed lips on the arches (front and rear) makes me a bit nervous.

Every car I looked at before this one has had rusted arch lips, so I know they can be a problem.

Styling wise, I've seen one with smoothed colour coded arches and it looked pretty good, but I tend to go for a standard non-nasty person attracting look so the arches might just catch an eye or two. I even bought it from Vince with it's standard wheels to keep it lower key - those split rim BBS's were very nice, but I'd be worrying about them too much while leaving it parked at work.

I think I'll leave it alone for now, I guess the arch kits will be around for a long time yet and if the arches become a problem later on I can always go that route when the time suits.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone and their aunt are taking off the arches, bit too common now imo. im planning on color coding my arches and door mouldings.

Ive 9" brocks on the rear and if i take the arches off the tyres will stick out the arch making it illegal, so i need to keep my arches.

ive been qouted

All late VR6's whether Highline or not have no plastic wheel arches. Only the earlier model vr6's have them on. However highlines don't have any plastic side skirts. Therefore you would really need to get some plastic side skirts fitted too otherwise the arches may look out of place. Ideally you ought to get a good paint sprayer to actually "merge" the plastic arches into the bodywork with filler and then spray them.. it will make your car look quite good I can imagine, rather wide bodied making it quite unique..but it will cost more and again the side skirts will need colour coding too.

One thing to note, as mentioned earlier, fitting plastic wheel arches could actually make the arches more prone to rusting as water will definitely collect in the cracks. As long as your current arches are not scraped or nicked in any way rust won't be any problem ...plus the car's are all galvanised.