cleaning and polishing the engine bay

had a little clean up on mine the other day, most of the crap comes away with an old rag with a bit of polish on it i found, i took my battery out and swept all the shite from around there too! i finished up with nice polished inner wings and suspension turrets and i used maguiars tyre dressing on the black bits, came out nice and shiney.

p><p><a  href=%7Boption%7D../../e107_files/public/_1127249031_2067_FT79122_img_02791' alt='_1127249031_2067_FT79122_img_02791'>

I have found that anything that is plastic and removeable - and heat proof, which lets face it it has to be - will go in the dishwasher. You can clean anything in a dishwasher!

Dont put you whole ENGINE in the dishwasher - you'll break it - the engine and the appliance! I havent tried it as yet, but whenm I have a moment will take off the manifold DOHC 2.8 thingo and sling it in the washer, just to get that yellow crud off there. Not into the polished look myself.

• 11 months later...

I have wax on my inner wings which needs to be removed so I can get the engine bay a bit cleaner

Heat it up with a hairdryer (or a heat gun on low setting) then get the worst of it off with a plastic scraper. Heat it up again and get rid of the rest with ordinary car polish & stockinette cloth.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the old BROWN SAUCE and wire wool/wet and dry to clean up old aluminium bits? Apparently it works a treat!?

Thats a new one on me...

Try it mate, a friend of mine did his rockers on his 106 gti and they came up really well, it removes all the pitting and cack on the ali then you can use a metal polish like autosol once the surface is nice and smooth ;) Not many people know about the brown sauce method!