Last night I went to see an s3 at my local Audi Garage.

51 Plate, 19k, black with black recaros leathers, etc. a very nice car and was really looking forward to getting one towards the end of the year.....

However, I was quite put off at some of the niggly plastic bits like the front grill, side sills, and some parts on the dash and its specification was no different to my VR apart from the BOSE sound system. It felt quick and power came in big lumps and I could here the turbo wistling at high revs !amazed but the gear ratios were very short and it just didnt seem as raw and as involving as the VR to drive... Also, I do not feel confident that its lump is a stong as the VR's and do not think it will run for as long (being a turbo) !sad

Opionins please everyone! I am really confused as whether to keep an s3 in mind or look towards soemthing else like a nice corrado VR !shy

Thanks

Matt

A mate of mine has an S3 & has owned it for 2 years now and rags the sh*t out of it all the time! He has had a couple of things go wrong but not really due to it being a turbo. He's had 1 clutch which for Audi to replace is

i like s3s

u think a vr6 is raw !dodge ??? uv obviously never driven a 1 litre fiesta at 100 mph :D:D:D

as for the power coming in a big lump thats the turbo spooling up ;) 1 thing that bugs me about turbos is they cost bugger all to get big power from :D

if u bought 1 ud deffo miss the 6 pot noise ;)

yep, the sound!! thats the only thing that bugs me about the 1.8T engines, i have never heard one that sounds anywhere near as good as a VR. Want someone to prove me wrong though because they really are a good engine with silly power available from a few bolt on mods! even contemplating putting one in place of the VR when its shagged.

Last night I went to see an s3 at my local Audi Garage.

51 Plate' date=' 19k, black with black recaros leathers, etc. a very nice car and was really looking forward to getting one towards the end of the year.....

However, I was quite put off at some of the niggly plastic bits like the front grill, side sills, and some parts on the dash and its specification was no different to my VR apart from the BOSE sound system. It felt quick and power came in big lumps and I could here the turbo wistling at high revs !amazed but the gear ratios were very short and it just didnt seem as raw and as involving as the VR to drive... Also, I do not feel confident that its lump is a stong as the VR's and do not think it will run for as long (being a turbo) !sad

Opionins please everyone! I am really confused as whether to keep an s3 in mind or look towards soemthing else like a nice corrado VR !shy

Thanks

Matt

[/quote']

The 1.8T lump is fairly bullet proof tbh. Forged internals as standard, with the 210 & 225bhp models benefiting from lower compression aswell.

All in all, a great lump with bundles of potential.

I'm going the S3 route next.

You'd be surprised what a vr6 with forced induction can beat. A 300 bhp vr6 could see of an M3 pretty easily. M3's have a crap power band wheras a vr6 turbo has power evrywhere. S3's are heavy cars and have a crap power to weight ratio and vr6s are fairly light by modern car standards. I'd fancy my chances in a vr6.

talking of S3's, we were out in my mates one yestarday and we came up against a BMW 330ci at the traffic lights, both cars went for it and the 330 was left behind big time!! the traction of the S3 played a big part,absolutely none of the power was wasted,the rear just dug in and launched it!! this is even with the traction control on!

I've had an A3 QS (180) and two S3s (both standard 225), a VR6 Corrado and an R32. I preferred the S3s over the VR mainly because of traction, but I missed the noise. The R32 was the dogs danglies though. Fantastic sound, traction and power. I agree though that if big power is more important to you than sound, then the 1.8T is probably the way to go.

I don't like S3s. It's just an uber box with a potent sewing machine under the bonnet. It just looks like any other A3 you see company secretarys driving, but with chrome mirrors and bigger wheels....but it's a VAG car, so a Golf MK4 at the end of the day, which is not the most thrilling of chassis to begin with.

Get a proper 4WD Audi, get an S4.