Hi... could anyone help us out... have a mk2 vr6 with a 96 engine in... it has a cable led throttle body so im guessing its an OBD1 but I thought they ended late '95??! any ideas on how I can check to find out which one it is?? Plus has anyone fitted VDO gauges for the centre console to their mk2 vr6, if so what senders are required?? cheers

oh shit' date=' i've just ordered a odb2 suprcharger kit, can someone please tell me if my highline is odb2 or odb1, its got square indicators too. pic will be posted in a sec.

[/quote']

If it has square indicators theres a good chance it obd1... pic of the engine is needed though

only if it says highline on the log book?

that it does sir ;) i am lucky i suppose my vr6 is exactly on the change over so i must have one of the last vr6's with a OBD1 especially on a highline!!!!! !amazed

Why is that lucky? if anything the obd2 is slightly better... also early highlines iirc didnt have quite the same level of trim as the later ones ;)

are you sure its odb1? i'll have to ring my supercharger guy up to change the details

as an ODB1 what do i have to worry about, i've always thought it an ODB2 so the tensioners need doing at 80k. But i've always ignored odb1 posts and schricks!!!! ggrrrr, i even cancelled my bid for evil's schrick becuase it was odb1...what a fuxxor.

only if it says highline on the log book?

that it does sir ;) i am lucky i suppose my vr6 is exactly on the change over so i must have one of the last vr6's with a OBD1 especially on a highline!!!!! !amazed

and also nerih yes yours is 100% OBD1

Why is that lucky? if anything the obd2 is slightly better... also early highlines iirc didnt have quite the same level of trim as the later ones ;)

im lucky as its rare and explain to me why the OBD2 is better???? and my trim looks exactly the same as ay other highline...

The best way of telling is to look at the throttle body from the driver's side. If it has a large black sensor on it, it's OBD2. (taken from this forum, and it doesn look like its got a big sensor on it)

The OBD 1 engine has far less emmisions controls and therefore is less restricted, but the reason it is said to be a more powerful and preferable engine to an OBD 2 is mainly due to it's construction. The OBD 1 engines were built a little better with forged crankshafts, heavier duty valve springs and retainers, and other such subtle, but effective changes

(vwvortex forums)

the main differenced between OBD1 and OBD 2 are emmisions controls.

The OBD 2 engine has addition control devices (post-cat o2 sensor, charcoal canister, etc.) that technically make it slower due to more restrictions on emmisions. However, it should have better throttle response than OBD 1 due to updates in the software and TB/intake manifold changes.

The OBD 1 engine is also easier to mod due to less emmisions and ECU software restrictions (i.e. less CELs from modding) and should produce slightly more power stock