Hi,

Got myself the short shifter for the VR6 from Demon Tweeks and fitted it this weekend, just thought I'd share a few "learnings"...

Firstly - they say it'll take an hour. They lie like a cheap watch! It may be that good for the Mk4 golf or the Beetle that the kit also fits, but certainly isn't for our Mk3s...

Removing the centre console - what a pain in the proverbial, but has to be done.

Easiest way to get the pivot pin/bolt out is to remove the two bolts holding the gear lever housing up and drop it down into the transmission well - it's still a mission, but it can be done with some persuasion!

The kit from DT required some parts from the old gear lever to be re-used - bit annoying as one of them is the bump stop, which on my car was almost completely worn. There is also a rubber stop on the bottom that they expect you to re-use, but it was molded onto my old gear lever... you don't need it, it just makes the gear changes a little more noisy.

Fitting the new kit was reasonably easy, but is definitely better if you have access to a vice. Remember to put thread lock on all the screws (the pivot pin is a screw - thread lock it!)

Had some major issues getting it to select 2nd gear once in, but that was mainly due to a worn bolt on the gearbox side. Works great now and the gear throw is much reduced.

Craig

• 2 months later...

Ha - I took the passenger seat out which took about 1 min and it was easy to get the centre console out - the whole thing didnt take long really around an hour but its quite fiddly - the most difficult part for me was getting a rubber/plastic hood over a ball joint - took me ages!

for some strange reason, mine had to go in from the underside...? & thats a B&M.

Gear leather out, 2 plastic nuts, 2 13mm nuts jack it up, Cat out, drop the lot downbish bash bosh... not easy - especially when you pop the linkage twice and give up putting the standard one back on.

%-6

1124722844_882_FT63800_img_0021_.jpg

well when i did mine the main pain was getting the centre console past the handbrake.

made the wise move of taking a few photos before i took it out just incase!!

is quality now but bit noisier but can feel exactly when it's in gear now for the 1/4 mile!!!!!