I'm planning on sorting out an oil leak in the next few weeks, among them is the sump. I took it off last year to do the wishbone and was told as my engine was produced after 255785 I would only require sealant, no gasket. 

Does anyone know if there is any particular reason for this? And would I create a problem using both sealant and gasket?

I'm planning on sorting out an oil leak in the next few weeks, among them is the sump. I took it off last year to do the wishbone and was told as my engine was produced after 255785 I would only require sealant, no gasket. 

Does anyone know if there is any particular reason for this? And would I create a problem using both sealant and gasket?

Id use a Gasket mate.

Always had done when I had my VR.

Never used that sealent stuff!

As its obtainable, get it and use it bud!! ;)

If its two machined flat surfaces then sealant only can be used.

If its two different surfaces (machined block to ribbed sump,ally-steel) then a gasket is used.

although i have gotten away with sealant before it just depends on how much you put on! ;)

If its two machined flat surfaces then sealant only can be used.

If its two different surfaces (machined block to ribbed sump,ally-steel) then a gasket is used.

although i have gotten away with sealant before it just depends on how much you put on! ;)

That's the kind of info i'm looking for, many thanks. The block is machine flat, but the sump has some perforations going around it, will grab a gasket and some sealant and give it a try.

Here's the part No. for the correct sealant from VW/TPS only use this on machined surface alloy sumps! It's specified for use throughout the VAG vehicles, as it's sensor friendly!! But take care not to over do it when applying, you only need a 2-3mm beed around the matting surface.. If you apply too much, the excess may break off inside the sump & clog the oil pick up strainer..

Part No. D 176-404-A2 comes in 80mg tube.

3utudema.jpg

Here's a link to an online manual..

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/gti/v6-2.8l_(bdf)/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/engine/engine_lubrication/oil_pan_engine/component_information/specifications/page_1760/

Mk4motionVR6

Edited by MK4motionVR6

It's up to you guys.. But the best one on the market to use is the VW stuff... The others are pretty good, but they take much longer to dry & are of a thinner composite to the VW sealant. If you go to TPS you'll get it for around £18, or just be a little cheeky & ask nicely at the dealer for some discount... They may give it to you for £19 trade

Mk4motionVR6