Increasing MPG for a long trip...

Hi, I'm gonna be driving just over 1000 miles next month and wondered if you guys have any suggestions to maximise MPG (temporarily).

I'm used to classics and when prepping my GT6 for 2000+ mile trips I'd do things like over-inflate tyres, use cooler plugs, tweak the mixture (and even removed a carb once, from 3 to 2, which took it from 22 to 28 mpg!). I realise I can't do the same things on the VR6 as it's largely down to mapping, but any suggestions appreciated :)

Ah yea slipstreaming something that looks like it can't brake quicker than you+reaction time :)

Hey I wonder if using one of those curvy Asda lorries works as well as a brick shaped one? But forget that, here's more serious question: anyone know how MPG is calculated by the dash readout? Is it a best guess based on throttle position and gear or is it actually measuring engine load?

I sat at 56 mph with the trucks in mine, the MFD showed I the MPG to be 38 mpg, journey took an extra 30 mins by driving slower.

On the way home I sat at 75 mph using cruise control and MFD showed 29 mpg but we got home 30 minutes sooner.

So sacrifice a little time and you will save a fair bit of fuel.

just to add the same really.  There are links for hyper mile ing as it is called and I dont agree with some of the things like higher tyre pressures.. but hey...

items to look at..

Streamling.  

Accelerate to speed quickly and remain at constant speed like your life depends on it

Dont brake - think of it as wasted energy

turn off electrical items not needed

remove all excess weight

Higher RON fuel is a discussion point

service the car... fully

A sports exhaust can help along with air filters but get made to measure rather than off the shelf to ensure you dont get motorway boom.

you can get a remap and this can also help.  (I got better mpg once supercharged than before fitted on runs)

slower speeds

Finally stay off the beer for a few weeks so you have the extra cash and just drive it like you should!!  My preference overall.. :D

Njoy your trip

United motorsport are quite right , I have found that shell optimax and wurth octain boost can show some high mpg on m way if driven sensible , but if your engine not right to start with then you wont see much improvement plus I am a big believer in luck of draw with engine from factory some good and some just couldn't wait too get rid of , owned 23 /24 vr's.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Alot of it is driving technique-learning how to use the throttle-for example when travelling at a set speed, backing off throttle a touch will keep you at set speed but reduce fuel consumption-but it sounds like you know what you're doing driving wise.

I'd be doing the basics:

Making sure tire treads are good, matched and correct pressure

Servicing - full

Make sure tracking is set correctly-even a tiny bit out will effect.

Loose as much weight as possible-all junk, ,unessasary items.

Good quality fuel

Making sure the car is up to operating temperature - a sticky thermostat can drop mpg as the car will think it is cold-more fuel used

I have no doubt mid to high 30's are doable

The MFA on the mk3 is rubbish anyways and only to be used as a guide. Mk4 MFA uses more things to measure mpg so is more precise.

I always work the maths from how much fuel input in/ or fuel tank size to miles done. The R does respectable on a run even sitting at 80 or 90 in Europe. Motorways are its home