what kind of car kicks a VR6s' arse?

if you're a good driver (which i suspect you are), you'd learn to put a scoob on the edge all the time.

most scoob drivers don't howver..i managed to keep up with one in the pooring rain once...he should have killed me.

back to z3's..yeah they did a 3.2 and i think that would wip us..the 1.9's are still very rapid tho.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Olly_K

Mangold, they are quick, apparently the red line at 8000 or summin stupid, so try and and get rid of them early on (use the torque and stay ahead).

They all seem to be driven by nob heads though. I've always beaten em, but like i said, was i pushing it more than them ? hard to tell unless your on a dragstrip !

[ Edited Sat Mar 20 2004, 02:58PM ]

[ Edited Sat Mar 20 2004, 02:58PM ]

Right i Will base my opinions based on facts from four owned or family owned cars.

bmw 325i e30, very similar performance, vr wins slightly

Audi s3, yes it understeers, but wil easily go in and out of a corners faster (tight cornering at a 110 mph, right angle turn at 60mph), and cos of the 6 speed box, they always have power. Vr would be in a ditch trying to do same thing. a bad road, dips, holes and a cable track in the middle, braking in a corner at speed in a dip in the road, s3 didn't even flintch. that esp is amazing, but yeah u r not in control the car is and would'nt have the bollocks to do same thing without it on.

merc 230 k, are quick cars. I raced one in my turbo. we accelerated in a straight line at exactly the same speed going from lewisham to blackwall tunnel. meanwhile my cousin was in a 300 td merc estate, with a t4 turbo and water injection(50/50 methenal), blew us away like we were standing still.

My brother also had a tt from new, managed to loose control after three years. But what do u expect, that car makes u feel inviciple, until u hit some ice at 100 on a corner and only the hand of god will save u then, luckily he walked away unscathed.

type r will beat u to in straight line, but under normal conditions, u will catch him off the power band and destroy him

i'd say the beemer would be quicker through the corners, rwd is always quicker than fwd.

understeer kills speed, hence the prob with the S3. there are loads of different S3's tho, i think the older ones only have 180bhp or 210bhp, where as my mates '53' plate has 225bhp. and it won't kill you unless its a long corner...but then i ain't your average driver i suppose!

u would'nt go into a corner as fast in a vr6 compared to an s3.. NO WAY. U never back off the gas in the s3 or tt. Full throttle in and out. It is litterally scary and defies physics. The s3 was fitted with Audi sports suspension as an option. It was between 10-20 mm lower than standard. the tt was standard but would still make the vr look stupid.

acf8181 unless u have owned and lived with a car for six months u can't make these judgements on it. I have been able to make direct comparisons of them and also the main drivers of these car's also know how to drive.. Your driving maybe faster then your friend, so u should'nt make comparisons that way.

the 325i yeah it does carry more speed in corners but in straight line no..As tested with my standard vr6 and my friends standard 325i. Nuff said

My cousin's motorsport convert with bubble leather (4000 per seat!!) went into a corner at 110 mph, turned out that the corner was getting tighter and tighter. Tried backing off but it felt the rear wheels lifting up so back down on the throttle. We were cacking it and somehow came out of the corner at 140 mph. &| We thought that this was it.. Never again, it was 60 all the home after that.

acf8181 u really dont like s3's do you? but how much real experience have u had driving this car? i remember u commenting on it b4, but from the s3 my cousin owns and the tt my brother owns, i can tell u that the vr would'nt have a chance in hell handling wise, or straight line.. In the wet definately keep dreaming. mad vr6 will tell u as well, his vr has motec management, cams, eip head, manifold and god knows what else, when it was standard he went straight line with the s and lost and in a corner forget it even with h&r coilover, strutbrace, atb the lot.

S3 off the lights... turn esp off raise revs clutch fed in quite slowly as u pull off, so fast you get whiplash. get it wrong however and u will be eaten for breakfast for a few seconds at least..thats if your gearbox and the box of tricks does'nt fall off.

All i can say is that whoever drives the s3 u have seen drives it conservatively, or has a problem with it. I have never seen a car stick to the road so well, just which it had a big lump in it.

whoa, calm it kermit.

what i can tell you is that i do know how to drive, and drive well..just ask my mate who is racing at sebring as i write this and who was in f1 ten years ago today, and another mate who won an F3 race last year.

4wd is an advantage, but on a short corner it doesn't give you much of an advantage. thats what i was tryin to say. unless you're in the corner for a long time, the 4wd doesn't have a chance to get much of an advantage...watch the btcc review of '96, and note how the the other cars can keep up with the audi's in short corners, but not in the longer ones.

of course, in the wet things change somewhat.

believe me my mate does go for it, but he never switches off the esp. maybe if i were in an S3 i would dissappear away from him...but i like my vr6 and i ain't that rich! a good driver can make up the difference.

and yeah, i do like S3's, they're very nice cars...but i'd have a scooby instead with its permanent 4wd.

[ Edited Sat Mar 20 2004, 07:37PM ]

i tell you what just2zang...lets settle this once and for all....i'm planning on doing a trackday at donnington, prob in late may or early june...why don't you get your mate to bring his S3 and we'll compare how each car works around corners?

Guest Anonymous�80.168.167.131

Would be great but he sold his last month for 15,900 with 29K on the clock, and only bought for 15,500 a year earlier. But Mad VR6 could confirm the performance of his s3 in bends as we are all friends. I scared myself silly. i would'nt buy an s3 cos it just does'nt feel like driving a car, and the engine isn't fast enough. 300bhp in that thing would be great. Also the gearchange is crap in an s3. I hate it. Those things were not built for the super quick shift on throttle scenario. I have to admit that he even beat a chipped s3, but then a lot of them have been abused by the owners. Certainly would'nt touch one without warranty.

When u drive 17k worth of car would u turn off traction? I told him that i would'nt turn it on from the start so i never got used to it... He didnt like that one.

I was in the middle of purchasing a scubby for 7k 98R plate wrx import b4 buying the vr, but insurance was ££££. Ideally I want a wrx sti type r version 4 or 5 which is a three door with active centre diff (adjustable in cabin) and water injection as standard.

sorry that was my post, by the way I did'nt call u a bad driver matey, i just said "acf8181 u really dont like s3's do you? but how much real experience have u had driving this car?". unless u have u can't comment as your friend might not drive as well as u mr formula 1. I dont care who drives better anyway so don't get sooo defensive. Okay its all LOVE...

i wasn't gettin moddy, and didn't take anything personally...my point was you were seeming to think the S3 was totally awesome...and they ain't! they're good, but no more than good.

they really don't have that much more grip than a vr6, you gotta remember they weight a lot more..and the vr has a habit of hiding the speed...but yeah, i see your point that you have to live with a car to truly know what its like.

Guest couzens

Good I'm glad its all love between you two = let's not get like other forums where everyone argues. At the end of the day its not just the car that kicks, its the way its driven (unless in a straight line) so I think its hard to define what kicks a VR. :)

U get me.. No No was a difference in opinion and also as u can see I love VR6's especially in 2nd gear and have also stated why I would not by an S3. As for weight, well its also distributed differently 1.8t verses 2.8 at the front.

Did u know that for 500 pounds u could change the s3 4wd system into a true 4wd system, to give a 50/50 split?

acf8181 I have always been interested in having a go on the track but have never managed it.. I have done motorcross and almost killed myself (31 stiches across my forehead and 9 under my chin and boken cartilage in my knee), but that not quite the same thing. Do you know of any special offers for track days as it might be good to get a load of us together for a session.

its £100 per half day/£140 per full day at donnington, thats the cheapest for what i consider a proper track.

you can get cheaper at rallycross tracks, but for me they ain;t proper race tracks...they're usually narrow and bumpy. TSR are doin a trackday later in the year at mallory park for £94 but it's not got enough run off for me to be willing to take my vr6 on it...an R32 got written off at the one they did a few weeks back.

check out this site for donnington... http://www.donington-park.co.uk/trakzone/