actually united motor sport do not sponsor the site, but do get a good amount of business from people on here, perhaps I need to make some formal arrangements on that front.

However, either UM or stealth is who I recommend, personally I've only ever been to Vince who's been great for the 10+ years I've been going to stealth.

Where is United motorsport based?

Please contact our main UK distributor; The Phirm' date=' they are in Hook, Hampshire.

actually United motorsport do not sponsor the site, but do get a good amount of business from people on here, perhaps I need to make some formal arrangements on that front.

Relative to the advice that we give on this site we get next to zero work from this site. The ONLY forum we sponsor is Vwvortex, which has many many thousand times more users than this.

I wouldn't touch UM with a shitty stick- my friend bought a 'learning' chip for his VR with cams and schrick- dyno proven loss after fitting it In between runs. Poor service- got told it must be his engine 'tough' so he put the stock ecu back on and threw money down the drain.

After a snooty reply like that reads to me 'were too big to sponsor your forum but well take your money happily'.... I'd be going to Vince.

You need thick skin to go on the Vortex. Very b1tchy, unhelpful and cliquey people on the whole. If you go on there with Turbo queries, it's like "Yawn, what ever" or you get strung up for using the wrong turbo AR or a standalone ECU, or just plain ignored.

The accomodating, attentive and friendly nature of this and the Corrado forum are hard to beat.

I don't think any UK VW tuner use the forums to raise their profile very well at all to be honest, except maybe Awesome GTI, who are very proactive and helpful on the R32OC, but I can see why many of them steer clear at the same time. They just don't have time to answer every "What turbo?" queries like DIY enthusiasts do.

I've had excellent service from Matt at UM. I always read of the UK UM being impossible to get hold of, don't reply to emails etc etc but I experienced the opposite. He's a bloody good tig welder too :)

I have used Stealth racing for years as well and had brilliant service from them too.

To give a balanced view, I've had pluses and minuses from both shops, but I won't dwell on those, suffice to say they both did everything they could help me and it was appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i dont hardly post on here anymore , but i will say this ..

IVE had nothing but help from UM UK, and would use there products time and time again. both software and hardware.

my vr6 turbo, seat cupra and audi s4 all ran UM Software . and were 100 % better than what arrvied with them .

my 2 freinds that had vr6's ran a UM ecu and gained both bhp / trq and general driveability.

i have logs to back this up .

infact the majority of turbo / supercharged cars on here run UM software or hardware

in my varied experiance , when people dont get the results they want , they are all but to happy to blame anyone but their

machinery . most faults can be tracked to poor installation of products or associated gubbins .

in general , if you ask nicely and aint rude you get a polite reply . and has as been pointed out , most tuners dont have time to answer the same generic questions, that can be answered with a search bar / engine

remember the mk3 vr6 , mk4 4mo and mk4 r32 are all now very old platforms , and as such you wont find any reputable tuner spending much time on them .

as for a shitty stick , that software made i think 218bhp at a independant rollers with cams, exhaust and filter . thats damm good , for a n/a engine , remember the factory qoute around 174 bhp .. 44bhp increase from factory qouted figures ..

everyone has good and bad experiances , intrestingly only the bad ones materialise on threads like this .

lee , you can use UM , Stealth , Superchips, AMD etc the choice is yours . your ecu will need socketing , it cant be done over the obd port . if your worried about travelling them choose somewhere local .

Well said Jim :)

Seems to go unnoticed on here that UM are constantly on here giving solid experienced advice yet with all the credit Stealth get on here I have never seen a solitary post by them whatsoever so credit where credit's due on that front also :)