Question about a magnaflow exhaust

Hi,

So I bought a VR6 with the sound being a deciding factor. It has a Magnaflow exhaust and it doesn't have that sound that I have grown to love from almost any other vr6 that I've seen or driven.

It lacks that low down rumbling noise you get as you accelerate hard from low rpm. Instead it has a hard to explain but a droning noise. I don't think anything is loose.

Could this be a leak? It backfires at low speeds under hard acceleration. My impression is that this is the sound this exhaust makes. If I change the back box will it give me that beautiful VR6 racket

I came across somewhere that says that those exhausts are like that. I'll find the link but it looks like that is the problem. I can't say I'm feeling the love for the power from my VR6 and I don't think I'm going to turbocharge or supercharge it. I wouldn't mind spending a bit but. it seems like its all or nothing no in between turbo that gets you to about 250 bhp. its all or nothing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I know what u mean its a drowning sound,mine was like that with a power flow system,it did my head in and the hotter it got the worse it was,it was that bad my missis wouldt go on long journeys in it!! My solution was....... Decat'd it, removed all the insides of the box befor the axle then made a straight pipe from that with twin tips,end result no drowning headache noise and it now sounds close to an r32 and sound awesome when it gets given the beans :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk