[poll] civic type r any good???

i trounce one on the way to work with monotonous regularity! can be quite a quick car, having driven one, providing you keep it above 5k rpm in all gears, otherwise you may as well get out and push! nothing really starts to happen untill about 5k in the engine and its a pain in the arse to drive round town, a plastic pig would overtake it if its in the wrong gear and below 3k! dont like the revvy engine, certainly wouldn't trounce a mildly tuned vr, doubt thay would trounce a standard one tbh. the gear change is something else all together tho, beautifully crafted, slick and just where it needs to be! best part of the whole car!

I've seen a supercharged one and that shifted & sounded the nuts!!! Sounded like an F1 car coming at me! They look okish but I always hear that you have to keep them revving like a lot of Jap cars...Dont like the position of the gear stick - might be ok once you've got used to it though

thing about type r's is they really need winding up (even more so than vr6's)....which is fine for race track, but on the road would be a PITA. i also have a hunch they wont last too long as most will be ragged to death.

i suspect if one had a drag race with a vr6, they woudl be very similar....however on the road they'd be easy to get the jump on (whilst the owner is waiting for the revs to rise) - in the way a 8v car can get a jump on our vr6's.

just my opinon though.

exactly my point andrew. a well sorted vr will have no probs with a civic type r. there are two at my place of work, and one just cant get enuff of being wupped by my "old mans" family wagon on the way into work some mornings!

ACF: to be fair the engivnes in them are pretty bombproof- i have a friend of a friend who works for Honda as there parts manager- he says theyve had 1 replacement engine in 3 years! With hardly any warranty work- bit of a change for him compared to Jaguar!!! i spose over a longer period of time (say more like the age of our VR's) then maybe things will start to show....

i reckon they seem easy to beat in general as you can get a jump on them before they wind them up....but if he set of knowing he was racing then its even steven. the figures suggest that.

easy to beat then...pretened you aint racing, then floor it whilst he;s not racing....my mate does that to me in his nova 1600! makes me mad!

Have got a mate with a newer style one, with the improved flywheel/clutch etc... and I still wipe the floor with it! And I mean wipe the floor with it!

Have also had some proper controlled races, on private land (organised by The Golf+ mag.) and lets just say the guy in the Civic did NOT want to be featured in any part of the magazine feature after being destroyed all day long by my VR! LMFAO!

what was he fed up with in particular out of curiousity?

He got bored of driving it and thats saying something as he was an ex saxo driver ,and had that ages! Also he had a shed load of trouble with it he bought it new from the garage withon about 6 months it have had over 5k or warranty work done on it and he took it to a rolling road and it only put down 149 bhp he was not a happy bunny to say the least :?

In all fairness that car might of just been a lemon and others are probably better ;-)

I had one for the day as my mate works at honda so i got a days test drive in one. you have to proper cane them to get the going - seemed just as quick as my vr upto 80, but reckon the vr would have the upper hand past 80! :D

The gearbox and gearchange is great though, got used to it really quickly and felt like a racing driver lol! !amazed wouldn't say the interior was as nice as my vr's though? and my vr has just as high spec if not better!

Have also had some proper controlled races' date=' on private land (organised by The Golf+ mag.) and lets just say the guy in the Civic did NOT want to be featured in any part of the magazine feature after being destroyed all day long by my VR! LMFAO!

[/quote']

I still have the video of that, you beat him by more than you beat me!

Actually, that means I'd have beaten him too! !amazed

Have also had some proper controlled races' date=' on private land (organised by The Golf+ mag.) and lets just say the guy in the Civic did NOT want to be featured in any part of the magazine feature after being destroyed all day long by my VR! LMFAO!

[/quote']

I still have the video of that, you beat him by more than you beat me!

Actually, that means I'd have beaten him too! !amazed

lol can u post the vids??

The gearbox and gearchange is great though' date=' got used to it really quickly and felt like a racing driver lol! [/quote']

i don't think anyone on here would disagree with the fact that the vr6 has a very crap gearbox though. makes my mums cavaliers gearbox feel lovely after the vr6.

when i done a rolling road day in my vr there was a civic type r there it went on the rollers and when the v-tec kicked in it went ballistic!!!!

was chating to the driver and he said it was just as mad on the road, but he would.

i ve never been in a civic type r, never seen 1 go or raced 1 but judging by the way it reacted to the v-tec i bet it shifts!

it was screaming and didnt red line till about 8500rpm or something stupid like that but then i guess they're built to take it.