Helping me get lower 1/4 mile times please

Ok so heres the crack!

This weekend at VW action i took the mk3 golf vr6 down the strip,

I was 2's up and missed 3rd but ran a 16.7 @ 85mph (not good) wanted another go but due to massive queues my £25 only got me one run.

I watched a couple of fellow vr's and they were running between 15.8 - 16.9 soooo......

Next year I once again plan to go to action and once again I plan to go down the strip, the difference being I want to run a 14 :s

I dont care if its a 14.001 or a 14.999 but thats my goal so here is where i need your help.

I know the obvious stuff to get it quicker (the car and me on a diet, tyre preasures etc) but need help with what else.

I love the idea of a turbo or supercharger but my wallet doesnt! so is schrick the way forward? bmc cda? de cat? HELP!!!

I know this isnt going to be pennies but i dont want to spend thousands as at the end of the day she has done 142k miles so has seen better days.

Was rolling roaded last year at 193 bhp at the flywheel (153 at the wheels) with 175 pound foot of torque so there is still of life in the old gal!

can anyone give me some advice?

Dlea had a stripped out mk3 with schrick cant remember what times he ran but i think you'll be lucky to get 14's without alot of practise at the pod. There are plenty of practise days (run what you brung) throughout the year starting in February. 6 branch, remap decat toyo 888's etc will help.

sticky tyres will probably be one of the 1st things to purchase!

Running time down pod isnt a problem as my old man races the split second jet car down their so can spend plenty of time there.

Are toyo 888's the one to have?

With the de-cats has anyone ever had any problems with everyday running after doing it?

Thanks for the help guys

Shorter gearing and [substantial] weight loss! G60 final drive in the box.

I was told about a MK2 recently which had a MK5 R32 DSG in it. Low 12s 1/4 mile. Apparently the DSG shaves a lot of time off. Normally hit low to mid 13s in a manual R32 conversion, but it shows how much time can be shaved off by weight and gearing alone.

Cheers dlea that's given me something to aim at! Been looking at polly bushing everything just to try and stiffen her up a bit but nos is out of the question for the time being!

Slicks may be the way. Carrying them around won't be a problem, I go to these shows with 2 mk1 caddys lol.

• 1 month later...

No no no, do no waste money on R888's they are a track tyre, with solid sidewalls, also they do not build enough heat in the tyres fast enough. Your better off with a set of old worn tyres, they will spead out when pressure left out and can be made sticky with a good burnout,

My old mk3 vr ran 14.3's, she had an air filter and decat back exhaust and just the front and rear seats removed. I used to just buy GTI alloys with tyres which would cost pennies.

If your at GTI fest this weekend, we'll get you in the 14s