• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ask Paul he blew his intake manifold

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I have updated the build thread but have been chipping away regardless..

After replacing mains bearings and fitting up with ARP studs it was time to move on to Wossner 8.1:1 pistons and Pauter rods install

Preassembled..

21.jpg

Dis-assembled again for bearing install and fitment to crankcase. I used R36 bearings for this as they are teflon coated over the normal 12v or 24v bearings. Rods are the same in all four VR6 engines..

19.jpg

All installed using the ARP bolts supplied with the rods..

18.jpg

27.jpg

ARP head studs installed and OEM genuine MLS head gasket..

14.jpg

15.jpg

Had the head skimmed by Newry Motor Works and new OE valve stem oil seals fitted..

16.jpg

Head fitted and torqued up, cams also refitted and torqued up. Notice a lot of VW parts bags on the floor lol..

24.jpg

New chains, guides and tensioners..

13.jpg

Opted for a Spec stage 3+ clutch and aluminium flywheel combo. Clutch plate is carbon graphite so is designed to stand some abuse which I will more than likely need, especially for launch control etc..

photo3.jpg

12.jpg

5.jpg

With clutch fitted it was time to turn to the last box of major parts which arrived a couple of weeks ago from United Motorsport. Pagparts exhaust manifold, machined to match turbo flange, 870cc injectors and Pro-Maf..

26.jpg

Exhaust manifold painted with high temp VHT paint and fitted up with new gaskets and nuts. Plan is to have this zirconia coated along with downpipe and turbo exhaust housing at some stage. It is mega bucks though so will have to wait..

23.jpg

Next up was to fit this bad boy. Precision 6766 0.96 AR, journal bearing, 4" inlet, 3" v-band exhaust and 2.5" outlet. Thanks to Scott for his perserverance in making up some studs for the lower two bolt holes of the manifold!

photo4.jpg

Fitted..

photo1.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo2.jpg

New rocker cover and coil pack gasket seals, rocker cover torqued down. Mocal external oil cooler take off sandwich plate also installed..

photo8.jpg

Seimens Deka 870cc injectors

Injectors.jpg

injectorpartnumber.jpg

Next up is to mount gearbox, then plumb brakes up on car and install the mk4/mk3 hybrid loom then mount engine and box. Easy peasy! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Been tipping away at this as and when I can over the past while. Engine and box are now in and things are starting to gain some momentum.

Subframe assembled with power steering rack and new Powerflex bush. Thanks to Michael for the help with this :)

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

Some self adhesive heat shield in place on bulkhead panel. Lots more actual heat shields to fabricate later..

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

Notice main harness is also in, need to finish wrapping it once i'm finished fabrication of boost pipes etc

Brake servo painted and reinstalled. Also renewed all the brake lines, ditched the ABS and fitted an inline brake bias valve. This was a bit of a bastid of a job, mainly because I used the OEM Kunifer pipe which is a buggger to bend! Not too many pics as the temper was up most of the time lol

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

Engine and box in

enginein.jpg

enginein2.jpg

At which point I realised downpipe clearance was going to be more of an issue than I first imagined..

IMG-20120814-00230.jpg

IMG-20120814-00225.jpg

IMG-20120814-00223.jpg

IMG-20120814-00218.jpg

So the fabrication started..

downpipe5.jpg

Downpipe4.jpg

downpipe3.jpg

Just a wee bit tight for space...

downpipe.jpg

Before I do any more I have to mount the Polo 6N2 TDI gear shifter and mount the exhaust, then I can finish downpipe and wastegate pipework. Also got suspension and wheels back onot car last night with help from my pardner in crime, Scott. :)

Thanks Craig :)

Thanks Matt, was looking at it last night thinking I'd be as well to route the oil return before any more downpipe activity so you've confirmed that. Also, the wastegate simply will not fit in the conventional position as in the first few photographs....this is due to the mk3 rear engine mount and the pipe having to be clocked a more of an angle than what it would be on a mk4. I can get a bend on the flange as in the last pic of the downpipe but am undecided as to whether to pipe the wastegate out to the right of the engine or under the exhaust manifold to the other side. Whole thing is a little tight lol

ABS delete I hope will be a success but won't really know until I have it on the road :) Fairly straightforward to do what I have done so far, just a pain in the ass routing the pipes where I put them.

• 3 weeks later...