[poll] Broadband speeds in your area

I've been checking mine and only getting a very poor speed of between 4 and 4 1/2 meg download speed. There is only 5.3 available to my router and my speed is spot on for the average in my area. Thing is we are due an upgrade in the area and they've told us the speed will rise to 6 8-) . This wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that the average in Latvia is 26 and Romania is above 23. WTF is going on? The UK is 30th by average for download speed. And there was me thinking we were right up there technologically.

What speeds do you get and are they as poor?

UK has some of the worst broadband speed around, its all to do with the wars, places that were utterly decimated, or places that UK helped rebuild after wars, ie japan, germany, have much newer technology cabling, aswell as investing in technologies at the right time ie korea investing millions 20 years ago in fibre optics (giving them virtually limitless broadband speed) that would cost billions today

i had virgin cable 10mb and it was so rubbish it used to drop all the time and was really slow, switched to sky and i get a 2045kb connection at the router which means this in real terms

1119577103.png

But sky is way faster than virgin ever was and hardly ever goes off, and if it does i drive down the road and see BT are playing with the lines in the back of their openworld van