Ok so the time has come to renew the tyres on My Audi TT comps

spec of the wheels is 7.5J et 32.

now up until this point I've been running 195/40 falkens on them, giving this amount of stretch on the wheel

03092010253.jpg

as i'm having archwork done this month and will shortly after be running spacers out back and possibly a bit of camber i'm wondering whether i go for a thinner tyre. Now after looking through sits my options are as follows

185/35/17 - ruling this out as i think 35 sidewall looks ridiculous

165/40/17 - this is looking like a possibility, to try and get a bit more poke from the edge of the wheel

image taken from tyre stretch site

7.5_165_40_R17_Nankang_NS2_2.jpg

7.5_165_40_R17_Nankang_NS2_3.jpg

im swinging towards the 165 tyre but your opinions would be appreciated, basically im after visible poke from the edge of the alloy

Personally i think what you had was bang on... i think 165 is too far, but then i think stretch to that extreme is a bit hmmm... gay. lol. but each to their own really. its all just opinion, its down to what you think looks best. Dont worry about what people think, there will be people that love it and people that hate it. :)

Hmm personally, I'd say stick with the 195s, visible stretch, but not silly amounts! At the end of the day it's up to u tho dude, if u want plenty of 'poke' and don't mind the handling issues it may cause, go for the 165's, but imo, that's just not enough rubber for a VR!

My motorbike has wider tyres than 165!

What ever you do, do inform your insurance company you have gone for smaller width tyres than standard.

Don't want the insurance to have an excuse not to cover you as it wasn't declared when you fitted just a tiny bit less rubber on the road, if ever there was an accident claim.

Good man, don't want to hear any insurance company deciding not pay out considering how much time, money and scraped knuckles we all endure keeping our cars going and in tip top shape.

I've just put those falkens (912?) on my car (205 width of course). 205s don't offer much rim protection, its very flush on my alloys. Looks good but I'll need to be extra careful with kerbs.