Water / Petrol Leak - PLEASE HELP

Hi All,

Im after everyone's or anyone's advice ASAP.

On the way home from work i noticed abit of steam coming out of the grill so i pulled over and had a look, couldn't see anything so thought id have a closer look when i got home, on the way the water light came on and from my work to home (3miles ish) the petrol needle wen from just under 1/4 of a tank to near empty.

So i check the expansion tank, its empty, so iv taken it off to clean then re fill to check for leaks, i cant see any wet areas?

May be a stupid question but, does the engine burn more fuel when there is virtually no water?

iv also looked under the car to try and find possible petrol leaks but couldnt even find a wet patch.

im going to re fit the expansion tank now and ill to check for leaks, hopefully it was just low. but is there anything else i can check for the petrol?

Please help!

Ez

Right iv got a definite water leak, either from the thermostat housing or the radiator pipe going to the top of the radiator.

So this will be done upon service on monday.

However this still does not explain the petrol situation, iv just filled it to the top as when i got to the station the needle was on empty, now it cost me £30 to fill to the top, is this the normal going rate? if not then i think i may have a dodgy sensor?!

All opinions/advice wanted please....

also you might be able to clean the sender up and get it working, mine used to go up and down for about 3 days then it just started working again, if the sender cost a fair bit new and you need one i can take one off the gti i have for a fair price, but you would be better off with a new one or cleaning yours, btw when you unscweew the black top, you have to lift the sender up, its atached by two tubes and wires to the pump so be carfull not to make the job 5 times longer

Thanks Ian, But i have bought a new expansion tank today and fitted it, seems to have cured the water leak problem, so far so touch wood thats all it is!

Paul, thanks for the write up mate, really appreciate it, maybe a silly question but when i remove the sender im not going to get loads of petrol flying out am i?

i will give cleaning it ago at the weekend, if that doesn't work i think ill get a new one.

take the relay out on the bottom right of the fues box i think its 157, thats the fuel pump, then crank the engine over for 6-7secound, and repeat that 4-5 times and that should get all the pressure out the fuel system, affter you do that you can remove the fuel lines, be carful though, because you dont have much of the fuel line to play with if you cut it, and remember to get some small jubilee clips before you start the job, there to seal the fuel pipe joints

ok thanks guys for your help, will give this is ago, if i get stuck i will get the garage to do it on monday when it goes in for a serivce...

Think i have another small leak LOL this time i lost around 1cm of water on the way to work, i think its the rad, so going to try radweld and see if that fixes the leak, if it does then i know i need a new rad :(

Try checking the fuel filter connections are tight mine leaked from the fuel filter outlet !! ( Back of car RHt side) and I did it only when it was warm and parked up hense next day tank was down, tighten the jubilee clips up or replace them, cheers

Thanks for all your help lads.....

Ordered new Rad today (£56 +VAT) from GSF will be fitting tomorrow and flushing system, then put fresh coolent in, lets hope this fixes the water leak.

As for petrol, im going to tget the garage tio sort that when i get it serviced as i really need it on a ramp.