somebody make my life better!

brief history

bought my vr6 2 wks ago. p reg obd2 91000. £1100. did all the tests I could with it. engine is quiet, no knocking, brakes are good.....

noticed after a week it was using coolant. about a pint a week so far. found 1 drip of coolant around thermostat housing on a bit of metal that sits bellow it which led me to belive it was the thermostat housing that was leaking. today I got it really hot, and I meen hot, sat in traffic for ages, and when I opened the bonnet more coolant had gone and I noticed (while the engine was running) bubbling in the coolant reservoir.

this is surely exhaust gases making there way in to the coolant - as in - head gasket issues!!!!!!!????

I had put away £700 to do ebay specials coilovers, a scorpion exhaust, a little ice and some induction.

now this will all be swallowed up by the hg.

Im waiting for someone to tell me one of three things:

1:its not your head gasket

2:it wont cost that much

3:I will make all your woes go away whilst at the same time allowing you to suckle on my teet and rocking you to sleap until all is good with the world.

the worst thing is my girlfriends brother said 'dont buy a vr6, they have headgask issues'

and I thought what the fudge do u know about cars!

sorry for the many paragraphs ppl.

any thoughts apreciated.

I have never a a head gasket issue and i have (and still own) many vr's!

I'm not saying it is or it isnt but get someone who knows vr's to check it out.. Pm tonyvr6, depending where u are there are a few vr specoalists about who could advise you correctly!

Good luck and keep us posted!

cheers mate.

the pricipal (i think) for exhaust gases in the coolant is the same for any car.

also unfortunatley I live out in the stix in cumbria and am stuck with very little within a 50m radius. reluctant to travel further with hg issues.

will keep you posted.

I did notice a strange sound when I got it stinking red hot and turned the engine off. sounded like an egg timer going round after the fans had stopped for about 5 or 6 mins. coming from the top right hand ride of the engine block.

That's jus the aux water pump it should do that. Thermostat housings are prone to deteriorate so well worth a look also check the water cap is sealing tight a mate had a loose one and caused similar symptoms

Good luck

ok cheers.

fairly certain its not the coolant reservoir cap seel as it seems to be seeled or atleast it lets out alot of gas when I open it when its hot.

as above check the cap on the expansion tank the thermo housing and also have you checked that the fans come on ?

the fans come on. I think the expansion tank is ok and how do I check the thermo housing is ok. surely if I dont see any sign of leeks......

gona have to get it pressure tested arent I?

Mine was bubbling the other day pal as mine was leaking after it being torn up and down through tunnels and I have no headgasket problems!

what do you meen torn up and down tunnels?

Is this all just bollocks am I just stressing over like a leeking therm housing or something?

when i get my vr hot the coolant gets hot and bubbles but to my kowledge no head gasket probs on mine either,

i spent a year taking the front end on and off my golf , replaced the water pipe , thermo housing, oil cooler, water pump internal and external , three core plugs and prob more, each time i lost my coolant i went through times of absolutely hating this car but as time went by things got sorted now i love it

check all around your hoses for pink coolant residue also check bottom of radiator through grills of lower bumper, check for leaks from thermo housing or get under while running and have a look around oil cooler etc also check lhs of engine near pulleys for leaks this indicates normally water pump probs hope some of this helps

here's a link for the entire thermo housing and related parts' date='if your going to do 1 you might aswell do all for piece of mind,its not a hard job either

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220505500573&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2186wt_690

[/quote']

cheers for that. its cheap!

Il give that ago next week then let you all know how I get on.

here's a link for the entire thermo housing and related parts' date='if your going to do 1 you might aswell do all for piece of mind,its not a hard job either

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220505500573&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2186wt_690

[/quote']

but not cheerful.

[blockquote]grom wrote ...

dman-vrt wrote ...

here's a link for the entire thermo housing and related parts,if your going to do 1 you might aswell do all for piece of mind,its not a hard job either

but not cheerful.[/blockquote]

cheap and good quality,always get my bits from them,its alright not that bad a job as long as you've got the front off

Hi It sounds like either the water system isnt pressurising correctly or lack of flow? Water at high pressure + heat = water + vapour . If the pressure/flow isn't being maintained then the water pump will cavitate hense bubbles in your coolant, See cavitaion on wiki!. This could be low flow to the pump. So it could be that the pump impeller is shot or has something wrapped around etc it or the water is not at the correct inlet pressure. Just because the pump goes around does mean its working correctly!! Take it off and clean it and look at the impeller this will be damaged if cavitaion has happened. Also check the o'ring around the coolant resevoir for splits as well. Check the flow of water round the system by taking out the stat and putting a hose through the Rad etc and the head see that theres no restrictions plus it will flush it out. I found gravel/rust nuts etc in one car I did !!! When all is well flushed replace the stat housing etc as this splits because is made of cheap plastic good luck, Total cost 3 quid for some rad flush.

so your loseing water, changed the water housing as they leak all the time, the orings on the crack pipe are rubish and most of the water housing ant very good, i still need to fix mine, and surly if your going to do a test for the HG its the sniff test you want to do.

also get the car nice and hot so the fans kick in, the grab one of the hoses that gos to the rad, these will be hot so use a glove or something, and while holding the tubes give it a rev and if the hose gos hardeer thats could be a indercation that the gases are leaking into the coolent system

Hi It sounds like either the water system isnt pressurising correctly or lack of flow? Water at high pressure + heat = water + vapour . If the pressure/flow isn't being maintained then the water pump will cavitate hense bubbles in your coolant' date=' See cavitaion on wiki!. This could be low flow to the pump. So it could be that the pump impeller is shot or has something wrapped around etc it or the water is not at the correct inlet pressure. Just because the pump goes around does mean its working correctly!! Take it off and clean it and look at the impeller this will be damaged if cavitaion has happened. Also check the o'ring around the coolant resevoir for splits as well. Check the flow of water round the system by taking out the stat and putting a hose through the Rad etc and the head see that theres no restrictions plus it will flush it out. I found gravel/rust nuts etc in one car I did !!! When all is well flushed replace the stat housing etc as this splits because is made of cheap plastic good luck, Total cost 3 quid for some rad flush.

[/quote']

its had a new water pump aparentley.

can you recomend anything to flush it with appart from water?