oh, forgto to mention tho...the best tyres are supposed to be goodyear eagle f1's, they're next on my list, a friend has them on his merc and they are pretty impressive.

cheapest place for any tyres is bracknell tyre & ??? centre. they quoted about £200 for a full set of uniroyals, and about £220 for a full set of f1's (205/50R15) which is very very cheap.

I've got Pirelli P7000s all round, which I like very much. Tyre choice is a personal thing - some magazines do tests though, so if you want a scientific approach that's the way to find out.

I looked at the EVO 2002 tyre test (done on an ST170, so it's a close a car as you could hope for). They put all the tryes through a number of tests (braking distance, slaloms etc) and gave them points related to their results. Then they took them on the road and awarded points on how much they liked them.

I chose the P7000s because they caned everything else in the dry and were the testers' favourite on the road. The F1s were best overall though.

I think the top 5 were:

1) Goodyear Eagle F1

2) Continental EcoSportContact (or something)

3) Toyo Proxes

4) Pirelli P7000

5) Michelin Pilot Sport

Bear in mind that although Toyos are very good and much cheaper than the others, they do wear out very quickly indeed.

[ Edited Mon Mar 01 2004, 09:42AM ]

I've got Yoko A539's all round on mine some people say these aren't any good in the wet but i have no probs with them got the same set on my mkII and easily won my last hillclimb in awful conditions think I was one of the very few which had 4 clean runs up the hill so they can't be that bad ;-)

[ Edited Mon Mar 01 2004, 05:06PM ]

"Budget" tyres do wear out quicker than Pirellis, Michelins etc, but once you factor in punctures, they may still work out considerably cheaper in the long run.

If you do Track days or drive your car very hard, you're better off with a more expensive tyre regardless.

The big wheel shops (C.A.R, XTreme, Gasoline Alley etc) are always a good place to go for replacement non-standard lo-profile tyres, as these are the only places that buy them in any sort of quantity.

I get budget 205/40/17s at £65 each from Gasoline Alley.

[ Edited Mon Mar 01 2004, 04:51PM ]

Try www.mytyres.co.uk Ive got to get two for my 16v 195,45,16 best price from them £40 each including vat(toyo's)

another place i found did some cheap tyres was r tec in st albans....they quoted me 45 each including vat(yokohama) & £8 carrage on the tyres

phone no is 01727 790100

Yours may be a little bit more as you want 205's...

06.02.04new.jpg

[ 06.02.04new.jpg ]

Got BF Goodrich on the front and Avon on the rear (all directionals) Reckon the BFG's are better than the Avons, well the certainly feel better on the front at any rate. My other half swears by her ContiSports.

Would not mind trying the Goodyears when I a next due a pair. (Depending on cost)

I've got Goodyear F1 GSD3's on my car - really rate them - especially in the wet.

Had Toyo's on my previous VR6 - they are a wide tyre - by that I mean the side walls bulged out quite a bit more than the old tyre even though they were both 205's.

Having driven two identical VR's ( Mangolds and mine) back to back with the only difference being the tyres, mine Toyo Proxes, Mangolds Goodyear F1's. The difference in grip was unbelievable, it was like driving on ice in the F1's compared to the Toyo's in my opinion.

Mangold recently needed new tyres for his new rims, needless to say after our little experiment he ordered the Toyo's!

This was in the dry though, never drove with the F1's in the wet, so can't comment on that.

• 3 weeks later...

im on federal 595's (205/40/17) at the moment, and theyre holding up nicely. pretty good wet tyres. the avons i had on before them were ok in the dry but worthless in the wet. the federals were only £55 a corner too, which was ok for my wallet. he he