My insurance is financially killing me - need help please !

As the title says i am getting to the point where i can no longer afford to keep my vr6 because of my dam insurance - nothing else.

I am 22 years old, 0 no cliams bonus, but been driving for 4 years on another policy, and 3 points for speeding.

I am paying £265 a month which is steep i reckon on third party fire and theft, me as the policy holder.

When i get a day off i will be ringing up adrian flux, sky insurance, HIC, chris knott and brentacre etc from the vr6 forum and see what i can come up with.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i need one full day off by myself to ring around as many insurance companies as possible, adrian flux are top of the list.

Nope none of the places will honour the years of no claims bonuses they said you have to be the policy holder blah blah etc they just take the biscuit.

What it is wen i first started out driving on my corsa, me and my dad was on the policy. my old man as the policy holder and me as the named driver, and over the years when i had my previous vr6 and the current one is i just transfered the policy on to the new car, but know the time has come for me to start my own policy but the no claims bonunses "my dad has earned" only he can use them.

is a vicious circle as when you start out you want as cheap as possible...but it doesnt work out as when you get older you want bigger and better....but with out the ncb its like being a new driver when you try to get your own policy. There are a 'few' places that are willing to accept and honour ncbs from named drivers. You need to play the insurers off against each other mate. dont tell them how much you have been quoted just say give me your quote then tell them they hae to do better.

Now quick tips(incase you arent aware of these ok)

when asked milage - insurer will class average milage as 12000 miles! check your mot's and work out how many miles you really do, could be for example 5000 a year0-this will bring policy price down!! so reduce milage if you can.

voluntary excess- the more you are willing to pay as voluntary the price of the premium comes down(however be aware, if you do have to claim...you hae to pay that AND the compulsory excess....which could mean hun dreds and hundreds, which could way outway the savins by a huge amount should the worst happen :( )

most companies wont insure vr6 without cat 1 alarm- if you dont have, may be worth the purchase. Plus a tracker or something similar helps.

Once you have your online quote price, ring them too, they may be able to reduce further if you tell them yhou have a better price. You have to be asertive with insurance sales persons as they want YOUR custom, you dont particularly want there's lol

yes ian this is an option too....an older driver with full no claims will bring a premium down. However this has to be specified at the begining of the policy....if you add them later once its bought although you would be due a discount the insururer will actually say you owe them x amount more plus admin fee(basically sticthing you up)

Also although not always a case of being in the position to choosing between payment- monthly or annually

annually is cheaper premium as they add extra on if paid monthly

I find the cheapest insurers aren't on those compare websites. I don't bother with them anymore.

You need to be ringing insurance companies like Sky and Adrian Flux as they have definitely been the cheapest for me. As soon as you tell them you're driving a VR, they know exactly what your talking about.

And, get a quote from each one of them and you'll find they'll try and price-beat each other. It's up to you then to pick the one that has won the little price battle you started.

I'm 23, and I've been with Sky for the 2nd year now. 3 points, 4yr license with no claims and I pay just over 450/yr.

I was with Quinn years ago, when I didn't know about the smaller insurers and I was paying 1000s for a diesel Astra! Can't believe it. Good luck.