Tell me your injuries! (please)

I suppose this is just me being curious (and quite bored!) really, but....

Whats the worst injury you've had, how you did it, and how long you had off work? And any pics too!

So whats your story?

I'l start,

On 27 september this year i went to work and managed to cut my knuckle and tendon open in my left hand, on a thin piece of metal.

I had an operation on the 28 to repair the tendon, and had a half cast for 1 week. Went back yesterday to have the stitches removed and a splint made.

I'm back to hospital in 4 weeks to see the physio, but i'm not supposed to drive for 8 weeks! So really not sure when i can go back to work.

I'm left handed, and it was my middle fingure so its a right pain in the back side!

Picture018.jpg

Picture.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a heating engineer and i was fitting a new combi boiler but it got air locked whilst filling it up so the flow was red hot and return was cold so i set up a tempory blow off to get rid of the air. I did the return first which went well but when i switched it to the flow the heat expanded the fittings and it blew off so the red hot water hit me on the side of my stomach.

The pain was unreal i blistered instantly and popped instantly. I drove home in 4th gear all the way with a frozen bag of peas on my side and the next day i was peeling black skin off my stomach all that helped the pain was the pint of brandy and lemonade my old man sorted for me. Really wasnt nice but yours doesnt look too pleasant either lol get better and get that beast finished ;)

Im a heating engineer and i was fitting a new combi boiler but it got air locked whilst filling it up so the flow was red hot and return was cold so i set up a tempory blow off to get rid of the air. I did the return first which went well but when i switched it to the flow the heat expanded the fittings and it blew off so the red hot water hit me on the side of my stomach.

The pain was unreal i blistered instantly and popped instantly. I drove home in 4th gear all the way with a frozen bag of peas on my side and the next day i was peeling black skin off my stomach all that helped the pain was the pint of brandy and lemonade my old man sorted for me. Really wasnt nice but yours doesnt look too pleasant either lol get better and get that beast finished ;)

Ouch! That does sound bloody painful! Has it healed ok?

Just the other day I was at home and had received sone paper work that needed to be sent away , I opened my drawer and reached in and then BOOM , paper cut from an envolope I put a plaster on it but luckily I heal very quickly so by the afternoon it was ok, I did lose a few drops of blood though , im through the worst of it now but the mental scars will stay with me forever , I know do everything by email !!

I slipped on my front path when it was wet it had that manky moss slime on it and its a slope. I broke my right wrist right in the joint and im right handed.

This was about mid november 2006, im quite tolerant of pain and usually need to be constantly nagged to go to the docs, and the pain was bad but i coped so didnt go to the docs for 4 weeks in the meantime i carried on as normal. I still could move it a bit so didnt think it was broken and by the time i went to the docs it had mostly healed itself, incorrectly and still quite painful.

So i went to the docs and told them what happened they said oh its just a sprain but xray it anyway. They didnt find anything.

This back and forwards from docs to hospital etc continued for nearly a year and i had repeat scripts for arthritis medecine and 90mg codeine 4 or 5 times a day for a year.

then they finally gave me an mri november 2007 and found out what was up and scheduled me for a surgery on my wrist in january 2008, on my birthday!

They did the surgery throgh 2 keyholes and removed loads of excess scar tissue and reset some of the small wrist bones. The pain when the anaesthetic wore off was the worst pain and feeling i have ever felt!

Id just bought a focus ST too in nov 07 and hadnt hardly even got to drive it!

I couldnt drive for 2 months and had a splint on for a further 2 months. Left me with permanent restricted movement about 90degrees instead of nearly 180 and will hurt for the rest of my life.

They said if its still an issue i have to have my arm cut down the length and they will cut and shorten the outer bone to align the wrist better but will not be reversible and is not guaranteed to make anything any batter and could make it worse.

Il dig out some pics when i get home.Back in 2005 i was playing football and snapped my ankle. There was no pain jst funny looking ankle so i tried walking on it. As soon as i put weight on it my leg gave way. Went to the hospital the next day and my leg was black. Turned out i snapped my ankle bone in 2 places, and broke my tibia and fibia when i tried walking on it. Still got 2 metal pins through my ankle to this day but doesnt cause me any bother touch wood.

My wife didnt like this one much!

latest.jpg

~3" Cut on the palm of my right hand. It went as deep as the tendons and through both the thumb and little finger muscles.

I was told by the surgeon at the hospital that full recovery would take 2 years. Watching the surgeon put her finger upto the 1st knuckle into an injury in your hand like that is un-nerving.

Broken arm - hurt initially.

Sprained wrist - hurt for about 6 hours. Worse than broken arm.

Stabbed by a scumbag air waster with a crosshead screwdriver as I was going into a shop. Went through the top of my wrist. The lad suddenly didn't like what he had done and let go with it still in me wrist. I saw it had travelled through to the other side, hadn't pierced but looked like the chestburster moment in Ripleys dream from Aliens.

Worst was side stepping fast in a circle with 40 other recruits in the Army during PT. As I went to leap into the air, a fat recuit next to me, called "Wier", landed on my little toe and next toe along. I felt enormous pain but carried on.

Got back about an hour later to my block, took my trainers off and found my little toe pointing upwards. After trying to push it back in and a small crowd of my Platoon watching, I lined it up and used my wooden foot locker as a stationary football. A short "GAAAAH" later it as back in lol.

Paul the finger was a mess, and I have a scar that goes atleast half way round the finger. That picture was taken a few days after it happened. we had to fold the flesh back over the bone and glue it in place. How the nail has grown back properly I will never know.

Ive got LOADS more but with out pictures.

In my late teens I changed a headgasket on a car. Someone else had already been there and fitted a massive jubilee clip over a smaller pipe. You know so it leaves a really long 'tail'. I didn't notice this and as I put my hand down the back of the engine to work I felt a really sharp pain. I looked at my right index finger where the 'tail' of the jubilee clip had entered just above the main knucle.... and exited the other side of the knuckle. Similar to how you are feeling now Paul I would imagine.

post stitches.jpg

This is just after the stitches were removed from my hand.

Paul, if i dont move it its fine, but doing much with it brings pain, if im spannering away on the car etc and dont stop till im finished itll hurt all night, but thats kind of self inflicted lol screwdriving is the worst, my wrist sounds like a concrete mixer.

Im a gym rat tho and free weights have definitely improved it, my right side strength is equal to my left now, which when i couldnt use it my right side strength withered, it jstill hurts tho

Worse happened to me was having me righthand cheek and my lips ripped off when i was about 4.

Was petting my nans sheepdog in the corner of the kitchen and he decided he wanted to walk away. I wanted to carry on playing with his shaggy fur so wouldnt let him walk away! Eventually he got totally sick of me and tried to jump over me. Unfortunately his paw caught my face and ripped it open.

I dont have pics of it but still have the scars albeit fairly faded which is lucky!

The docs sewed my cheek up and reattached my lips sewing on the inside to leave as little scarring as possible. Although the lefthand corner of my mouth was too badly mauled so they botched it up with spare skin on the outside.

Now (more visible in pics than real life) my right eye is more open than my left and i need to concentrate when i'm drinking otherwise it would easily pour back out the left corner!! lol

About 3years ago i was out bmxing on a hot summers day, then it was spitting with rain and we all decided to call it a day apart from me. Anyways I decided I would try a no footed nose manual, I thought I would start on a flat bit of road. And I got the manual going great now to take my feet off the pedals.

From what I remember it sort of went

1. Feet off

2. Slip

3. Bang

Next I remember opening my eyes in a mangled twist, with a random person tapping me asking how I was.

I said I think I'm fine thanks, why am I on the floor? She said it looks like you have fallen off your bike.

Ahh Yh I was practicing something, anyway I got up and picked the bike up and began to ride away then it felt like I had pulled my shoulder so I tried stretching it out.

Turns out I had snapped my collar bone into two clean pieces and dislocated the shoulder split my leg open on my knee and shin and broke one of my fingers. And chipped a tooth. After the X-ray I had made my collar bone into a right angle and it was so close to peircing the skin inhad to go back to the hospital on watch so nothing bad had happened.

I was off work for 6 weeks and got a new bike :) but I frigging hurt.