Warming your car up?

I don't usually bother, i just start it up and drive really slowly on my journey to work, i don't rev it past 2k rpm until it's all warmed up nicely.

This morning however, i started up the car and left it running while i went in and had some breakfast, 5 mins later i go out forgetting i'd left it running.

Anyway, driving up the road the car felt so much happier/smoother now it was all warmed up!

I might do this more often - it just felt a much quieter, smoother drive??

Do any of you bother warming it up? Or do you just take it easy like i usually do?

warming it up by leaving it to tickover when you're off doing other things can shit the plugs up over time, i believe.

I'm not saying a don't do it, as sometimes i do, but i am led to believe that the most effective methof is to drive it keeping the revs low, which is what i usually do. Then give it some bamboo once the oil is around 75.......

[ Edited Thu Jan 20 2005, 12:15PM ]

I never take mine past half throttle or 3000 revs, and preferably 2000 revs until the oil temp is up to 65 degrees, as I understand that's when the engine can be considered to be up to working temperature.

I usually warm it up by driving it very gently rather than sitting at idle, unless it's been really really cold when I usually let it idle for a minute or two first.

Never over rev mine from cold- 2.5 - 3 k tops. I live just off the motorway so have to take it easy for the 1st couple of miles but it warms up quickly. Wish i could get up early enough to get it running in the morning. Would love one of those remote start jobbies- that'd be great on cold mornings :-)

I never take mine past half throttle or 3000 revs' date=' and preferably 2000 revs until the oil temp is up to 65 degrees, as I understand that's when the engine can be considered to be up to working temperature.

I usually warm it up by driving it very gently rather than sitting at idle, [/quote']

exactly the same as me :D

I allways drive it up to 2k rpm until it reaches about 70-75 degrees and this usually happens very quickly but i also warm down after a good run by driving up to about 3k for about a mile befor i shut off!! It all helps prolong the life of the engin IMO!!

Mike.

Thats true as far as i know, a mechanic friend always told me to let the car idle after a blast so the oil pressure settles.....

I allways drive it up to 2k rpm until it reaches about 70-75 degrees and this usually happens very quickly but i also warm down after a good run by driving up to about 3k for about a mile befor i shut off!! It all helps prolong the life of the engin IMO!!

Mike.

let the car idle after a blast so the oil pressure settles.....

yeah that what ive always done ;)