Awesome driving routes

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do and have done a LOT of driving over the years, through my job. There are loadsa great roads still left in the UK to have a go at.. Although st Bernard pass or what ever it is called that those chaps on R32OC did was very impressive...

Right UK wise it is really easy to find routes.. I have driven many roads which are not routes as such you just stay off the main Motorways and A roads... (SATNAV has this option) The main regions these roads exist are crossing mountains and moorlands.. There are some belting roads in the North Yorkshire moors around goathland and the likes.. Similar as said for Wales and Scotland.. The road "over the top" of the peninnes is an absolute corker..

Also those coast roads such as Whitby/scarborough/sandsend etc again an example in a moorland area...

Europe wise..

-Road in to Monaco (in a mini :D shouting lines like - "you're only supposed to blow the bloddy doors off..." ;) )

-Any road over a mountain (Alpes) they're all "as seen on TV" - I travel the back roads from Geneva a lot and they're all great in to France.

Find something or somewhere you want to go.. a car show room a visit to a museem a sight and pick the road least travelled you will really enjoy it. I still go oneway to my meetings on the motorway and one way not, just for the fun of it a lot.. (though not in the VR :( )

you gotta do the trans pennine route will try to dig it out when sober or the (think) the a68 past the cat n fiddle pub (big bike meet) run

the a515 from lichfield through asbourne and up to buxton, the cat `n fiddle is on the a537 to macclesfield,

this route and the roads and views around are breath takingly awsome,

snakes pass is a must if your in this part of the world between glossop and sheffield,

but be warned the police do patrol these roads as they well nowed with the bikers, ;)

you going to do UK or Europe mate and camping or B&B type thing ?

I would like to do something in the UK and to not clash with the trip to the ring and get a feel for what anyone else fancied. I'm all up for chucking the tent and sleeping bag in the boot and if I find a B&B then good or if the weather warrants it a campsite. Would like to get an idea of a few places and then just head out and see what happens each day.

The reason for asking is although I love going to the meets it would be nice to mix it up a little with searching out some quality driving roads. Craggsy's idea of a road trip brings it all back to smiles and miles and really getting some driving time in.

well hows a week or wot ever for lands end to john o groats meeting fellow vr6`s along the way as for local mini meets ????

As said before I think that would work but would work a whole lot better if linked to doing it as a charity run.

I like Ben and Craigs idea's of something in Europe but I would have to see how things went and a trip to the Ring would be my priority. Something in the UK would be a lot cheaper without track fees, ferry and such and we have so much to explore right here in the UK. Plus I like the food and can speak the lingo, well maybe not in Wales, or Newcastle, or Glasgow, but you get the idea...

• 5 months later...

Looking ahead to next year and thinking of different things to do' date=' i'd like to try out some of the iconic driving roads in the UK. If distance was no object what recommendations have people got of ultimate driving routes for petrol heads to navigate?

Ideally post a link to the route or list so that it is easily found.

Does anyone know the route driven by Jeremy Clarkson in his Escos. Think it was something pass?

[/quote']

thought any more ov this bungy, :)

I have been looking into this off and on for a while now. I've been thinking more along the lines of a 3 or 4 day jaunt linked by campsites. Haven't been able to zero down on where to go yet though. Most likely towards the end of summer....