south coast peoples, time to show everyone how nice we all are (meaning show me)

hey guys and gals, some of you may be aware from other forums that im currently stripping my vr6 to do my first ever engine conversion into mk2 vr, (many parts for sale) trouble i have is i have about as much mechanical or technical aptitude as a chicken sanwhich. and the wiring just reminds me of a bowl of spag bol. can anyone help? im petrified that i'll ruin every thing and end up with 2 shite piles of scrap metal.

the mk2 is currently sitting there with a mk3 vr6 front sub frame and no wiring loom or pedal box or brake master cylinder or fuse box or steering column as i intend to use all of this from the mk3 as its slightly newer and poss in slightly better shape.

i have removed the front end from the mk3 plus unclipped all the wiring loom and removed the fuse box but now i've gotten scared because i really cant afford to fuck this up (pardon my language) i simply cant afford to lose out on this project its that tight.

but due to lack of brains and only a handfull of basic spanners and sockets im already struggling big time. so if anyone can lend a helping hand or some good solid advice (yes i know to take it slow and be methodical) or some tools, or anything that may help, including a completed mk2 vr, i would be eternally greatfull. i cant afford to pay someone to do the job for me due to a budget tighter tha a nuns chuff but i can throw in a cold beer and a pizza for an extra pair of knowledgable hands, i'll even give you every part not used from both cars just to get me to the basic engine in and running bit. i can tidy it all up and swap the axles and brakes and steering and all that stuff.

i hate to beg or borrow and really wanted to do as much as i could myself but the old arse hole has started twitching and ive started panicing already.

i've tried asking questions on mk2vr6.com and as nice as they all are it takes ages for em to get back to me and most of em no-where near my part of the world

I have an engine hoist, axle stands and jacks along with just about every kind of tool. I'm always pushed for time but willing to help if it is organised and productive. I'm no expert on the conversion side of things though.

you guys are brilliant, wasnt expecting such a posative response. im gunna be beavering away thursday and friday evening this week plus most of the day saturday if i can get hold of a pedal box and solid front mount by then, if not it will be rear beam swap front brakes and rack if i can get it out without taking the engine out the mk3 just yet, but can store it in the back of my little garage if need be to get ath the brake cylinder and other gubbins hidden round the back like the full loom so then i can fit that into the mk2 with the mk3 fuse box.

i dont know much so am just stumbling along at the moment making it up as i go along lol

pm'd ya my number adam.

tonight (thursday) was a wash out so no work done coz the misses took tooooo long cooking my bloody dinner. and no point doing much now.

will be outside for a couple of hours friday night weather permitting, then most of the day saturday if i can actually figure out what im doing.

ive removed the mk2 pedal box and steering column but am having probs locating a rado pedal box so may put it back in friday and go for cable operated for now. just need the correct cable to use. i know the clutch bit on the gearbox is seat item or i can buy a conversion kit from that place down the west country

Paul---mk3 pedal box requires modification, aka cutting and welding. i know someone who can do it for me but he's never availible when i am. im struggling to find a local pedal box, dont have credit or debit card so cant order from stevens by phone and to far to travel, i think im gunna use the cable method and put the mk2 pedals back in just to make life easy, then i can source the bits from gsf/tps or even vw if need be. should work out slightly cheaper that way too. im wrecking my own mk3vr to build the mk2 so will salvage as many parts as possible from that, if i can find a rado pedal box close to me and 'cheap' i'll go hydrolic and use my mk3's master cylinder. the front cross member will be standardmk2 item for now with a solid mount from duff on mk2vr6, he says he's been selling em for ages on there with zero complaints so i can argue with that.

yes please anna, i wanna go solid mount as im not interested in comfort, although it is a small bumper 5 door and will for all intent and purpose stay looking grandad like its simply my fun car, or will be when done, so not fussed about an extra bit of cabin shake or anything like that, the extra vibration from the engine all add's to the feel. if i dont keep it grandad like im gunna go max power stylee on it and give the impression it's just a boy racer in a 1.3cl :)

cable is easy they just have a tendanc to snap my friend phil went through 3 in a day at santa pod so as long as you dont do much hard launching you should be ok for a bit keep looking they do come up!! put a wanted up too always helps

any one free monday evening for a couple of hours? need the engine pulled from the mk3 so i can get at the loom and brake master and steering rack. just need it lifted out and put in the back of the garage for now until i get everything else sorted out and find the cash for a front mount and clutch cable kit or rado pedal box

yeah.

ive unhooked all the loom i think. just need to undo the engine mounts and downpipe. oh and free up the drive shafts. hmmm i think monday may be optomistic as i need to find a socket to undo the hub nuts first and moday will be my next availible day