The pleasures of owning a VR6

Just popped down the road for some smokes and encountered a lovely wide ,traffic free, A road. Decided to have a bit of fun- Gave it some stick and was going way to fast- ah well ;) In 8 miles my fuel gauge has gone down just over a 1 notch. Its taught me to be a little less lead footed! :)

I recently changed to fully synthetic Castrol RS 0w 40 and put in 750ml of Slick 50. I was a bit worried about this first of all, due to some posts about leaks etc, and the viscosity being to thin.

The last day or two the engine has really quietened down (i was contemplating changing tappets before!) and it feels the smoothest (and quickest) it ever has! Highly recommended combintion and i know this remark will divide opinion! ;)

Slick 50 is great for older cars, but I don't think a modern engine like a VR6 really needs it to be honest. There's not a lot of things that you can buy off the shelf in your local Tesco that will make your Golf run better than VW intended.

yeah - just read up on Slick 50- seems they went through a law suit in 1996/97 due to unfounded claims- and lost! As a consequence they had to stop making unfounded claims. The PTFE is actually a solid (powder) which is approximately 0.05 microns wide, whereas the average filter only lets through particles smaller than 0.02 microns- so your PTFE supposedly just gets clogged in your filter....i dont likr the sound of that! Ive used it with all my other GTI's and VR6's over the years though and never had a problem :? Wont be buying it again though- we live and learn :) Dont agree with there being anything wrong with Castrol RS- putting any fully synthetic oil in an old engine is a bit like russian roulette- fully synth acts like a detergent actually cleaning deposits and sludge (and if used from new leaves less deposits than a semi or mineral) - hey presto leaks! If your engines a dog- dont use it;) Possibly the slick 50's maybe thickened the oil im using- whatever it seems to be driving a lot nicer!! :) And ive got no leaks! :)

Yeah i agree- im getting the same impression- when i bought the car i had no idea when the oil had been changed but under full throttle it sounded very tappety- was honestly expecting to buy new tappets- with the oil being so thin i wasnt expecting it to quieten down- once id added the slick 50 after a couple of days it has become sooooo smooth and quiet. As there is no actual scientific proof that Slick 50 does anything at all, its strange how its become so damn quiet! :)

OMG m8- thats not good news. If doing what i have done did not make a difference and i read the comments i probably would perform a premature oil change but seeing as its running sweet as - im happy for the moment! Mine was burning oil- suspected valve stem oil seals- it seems to have calmed down now (from what i can see) though so may have been down to very old oil. Will have a proper look fro any smoke on RR day when Vince is caning my car!! :)