Just bought a 5 door VR6..... £1000 to spend on mods

Hello.

I've just become the pround owner of a red 5 door Golf VR6.

I bought the car off Darren username TopGunVR6.

Couple of questions:-

What's the best oil to use?

How often should the oil be changed.

I'm thinking of having some mild mods done. My budget is £1000...........I've decided to for a uprated throttle body and chip from AMD and also a Milltek exhaust. I've already got a K & N 57i induction kit. I'm aiming for 200 BHP....I'll probably have the laser alignment done and oil change at the same time. Will this be 1K well spent?

Mark.

I've bought the VR6 as a family 5 door performance car.

I agree that the suspesion is a little too soft, but I need a softish ride as I have a little 6 month old girl.

I have spent a fortune on my Pulsar with regards tunning so I'd like to keep the VR6 fairly standard.

Oh and the question about being an oil accountant......I may now a lot about the oil industry, but that doesn't mean I know the BEST oil to put in my VR6. I put Mobil 1 or Castrol RS 10w 60 in my Pulsar, but different make of cars perform better then others with certain oils.

Also: I have to use Shell Optimax 98 Ron in my imported Pulsar GTiR, what fuel do VR6 owners use? 95 Ron, 97 or the 98?

Mark.

I presume my VR6 will run better using the Optimax but it's a lot more expensive in my area......83.9p!!!!!! there is no other super unleaded in my area so my choise in 95 or 98.........I think I'll stick to putting in Optimax every 3 fills.

Couple more questions:-

What sought of MPG does every one get? Cruising at 65-70 MPH on the motorway I was getting 32.9 MPG, but running around today on short cold runs.....I was barely getting 20 MPG!!!!!

And......what size is the fuel tank.....50 litres?

What's the best mileage you can get out of a full tank?....I reached 300 miles on my first fill and still had some left in the tank.....so I presume I could get to 330 miles when cruiseing.

Mark.

I use the Semi synthetic oil, same as VW use, in mine, but buy it a lot cheaper from German and Swedish!

I run mine on BP Ultima, as it recommends you use 98 RON fuel.

Cruising I get about 30-35 mpg, round town 20-30 depending on temp, as auto choke on etc.....

Although don't really keep an eye on it, as I didn't buy a VR for good MPG figures, lol!

I find that very surprising, the fact that you use semi - synthetic and not fully. I thought an engine running near or over 200 BHP would be best run on fully synthetic oil.

So what make and grade does every one use? I'll probably go with the advise the AMD give me but it'll be nice to know what everyone else on here is using?

Another question too......

I run BBS 15's, what tyre pressures are best to use?

Mark.

got a bit of deva ju here...i've already answered an identical post on cgti!! lol!

basic jist of what i said there was...

-use synta silver (6 litres needed)

-suspension (if you go for gmax you'll still have good ride, i reckon they are the comfiest suspension kits available)

-second hand schrik vsr for under £1k if you're patient. (better low down torque)

-different final drive ratio, and a ATB/LSD. (vr6 is held back by its gearbox, and its lack of traction)

I use 5W 40 fully synthetic oil, Castrol i think. Not that i know what the best is.

Good choice of car btw, how come you decided to get rid of the Pulsar? I ventured round the back of No-rice car park last month and there was some bloke thrashing round in one. Ok it wasnt the place to be driving like that but it was an awesome car.

Cheers for the response lads....

Macca......you asked me why I sold the Pulsar....I haven't. I bought the VR6 for the wife and to use as a family car. My pulsar is my toy, I don't hink I'll ever sell it as I've spent over £30K on it.

And yes I bought the car off Darren (TopgunVR6) but I travelled over 250 miles to buy it .....I wanted a good 5 door so didn't mind travelling any distance. I'm from Pembrokeshire in South Wales.....also known as little England beyond Wales......we don't speak a word of Welsh here.

It's a shame I bought the car after the rr as I would have liked to come along to the day and meet some of the lads to find out more about the tunning of these beasts.

Mark.

That is one sexy looking VR' date=' what wheels are on it jonvr6highline? Is it yours?[/quote']

Think they may be Alessio Fuzion wheels on that one. Only know this as I think there is a similar set on E bay at the moment. Will try and find them again and post the item number up for you if your inteterested?