made some (slightly worrying for some of you) discoverys....

a mates highline has had bottom timing chain failure, at 108k, with no warning. its bent most the valves. the car was a very well looked after example, with full vw service hostory, and had never broken before. i wouldn't worry about this too much, i think its an isolated, 'once in a million' problem.

but whilst pulling it apart we have made some discovery's that go against common thinking.

its deffo an obd2, but has a double top timing chain...which we thought was only on obd1's. the significance of this is that the double timing chain wears through the top 'blade' runner at about 100-120k. and sure enough, this one was almost worn through.

i'd suggest that people check the condition of that top blade runner if they have the mechanical knowledge to do it. i'll try and do a how-to guide at soem point, with pics.

[ Edited ]

a mates highline has had bottom timing chain failure' date=' at 108k, with no warning. its bent most the valves. the car was a very well looked after example, with full vw service hostory, and had never broken before. i wouldn't worry about this too much, i think its an isolated, 'once in a million' problem.

but whilst pulling it apart we have made some discovery's that go against common thinking.

its deffo an obd2, but has a double top timing chain...which we thought was only on obd1's. the significance of this is that the double timing chain wears through the top 'blade' runner at about 100-120k. and sure enough, this one was almost worn through the.

i'd suggest that people check the condition of that top blade runner if they have the mechanical knowledge to do it. i'll try and do a how-to guide at soem point, with pics.

[/quote']

They did not change the top timing chain over to the single type until mid '97 from engine number 217001 onwards.So the double chain was still fitted to some OBD2 cars.

ok, that means that anyone with a pre-97 car really needs to think about getting the chains done around 100k.

so much for no chain replacement for life from vw.

i'll try and do a guide on how to check on the condition of the top blade runner sometime....if anyone wants to lend me their car to do it on will make it easier ;)

If they were meant to last the life of the car then shouldn't VW be obliged to replace them free of charge if they wear down, especially on cars with a full VW service history? I reckon with a good enough lawyer, that could be reasonably argued.

well, all the parts (all the chains and runners) come to about £100 from ecp or twice that at vw...identical parts though.

problem is that even to change the top 'blade' runner you gotta have the gearbox out. if you can do it yourself great, if not its gonna be at least £500.

32. Slide the inner intermediate sprocket onto the intermediate shaft and rotate the sprocket until the pointer in one of the sprocket holes (yellow arrow in the picture below) lines up exactly with the vertical mark on the intermediate shaft thrust washer behind the sprocket (red arrow in the picture below). The intermediate shaft is timed correctly when the pointer and washer mark are lined up. Note: The picture below was taken out of sequence, and as a result, shows the lower chain, outer intermediate sprocket, intermediate sprocket bolt, lower guide rail and upper guide rail already installed. They should not be installed at this point in the procedure. Please disregard this discrepancy between the text and photo.

TimingChain27.jpg

Guys

Just to clarify the above pic, I have checked this with both Stealth and with the bentley manual, and the pointer on the sprocket hole (yellow arrow) should be lined up at 12 o'clock and NOT 6 o'clock as shown on pic. Stealth have seen numerous VR6s timed up by home mechanics after chain replacement like this and apparently it will run, but power will be crap!!!!

You may want to clarify, because I also used that guide. now , whether it makes a difference if your car is dizzy or coilpack I'm not so sure??........ :(

Hope this helps.

[ Edited Sun Jan 09 2005, 10:45PM ]

well' date=' all the parts (all the chains and runners) come to about £100 from ecp or twice that at vw...identical parts though.

problem is that even to change the top 'blade' runner you gotta have the gearbox out. if you can do it yourself great, if not its gonna be at least £500.

[/quote']

i was under the impression u could change the upper tensioner in the bay bugger &|

Guys

Just to clarify the above pic' date=' I have checked this with both Stealth and with the bentley manual, and the pointer on the sprocket hole (yellow arrow) should be lined up at 12 o'clock and NOT 6 o'clock as shown on pic. Stealth have seen numerous VR6s timed up by home mechanics after chain replacement like this and apparently it will run, but power will be crap!!!!

You may want to clarify, because I also used that guide. now , whether it makes a difference if your car is dizzy or coilpack I'm not so sure??........ :(

Hope this helps.

[/quote']

yep, i can confirm this....always go on the bentley manual. its prob at 6 o'clock in this guide as it's a mkIV vr6 (u.s. only)

i was under the impression u could change the upper tensioner in the bay bugger

no, you can only change the upper most guide....which never wears (but often gets broken when you take the head off with it still attached, then put the head down on the bench - not that i've ever done this of course! lol), and the 'bolt' tensioner without removing the gearbox....everything else requires it to be moved.