My 97 VR is still getting through a fair bit of oil. Can't find any leaks and there's no smoke, so thinking of changing the type of oil I'm using to see if it makes a difference.

I'm currently using Syntha Gold (as recommend by VW), but thought I might give her a go with the semi synthetic Silver stuff to see if it slows the consumption down - will this cause any problems with the engine?

What do you guys / gals use? Apologies if this has been asked several times before.

Any thoughts / suggestions appreciated.

Cheers...

I read on another site, that synthetic unlike semi or mineral acts as a detergent and over time removes built up sludge deposited- this can sometimes be ok- however on higher mileage cars (and a car youve bought you dont know the history of) its probably not such a good idea as cleaning the sludge can create unwanted tolerances which mean oil leaks etc. Went to a VW/Audi garage recently after buying my car and they advised me to perform an engine flush- didnt think that was sound advice....

Just going to change my oil, so I'm glad I found this thread!

Went into Halfords and on their chart it says to use 15/40.

I have only done one previous oil change on this car and from the info I had at the time (from Demon Tweeks) was to use 10/40.

Just spoke to the VW dealer in Macclesfield and they also said 15/40.

Mine has run fine on the 10/40 Castrol Magnatec, same grade as the synta silver.

I would agree with most of you that 5/40 (synta gold) is too thin.