well it depends on what you have now and what you want from a car

ok i got a 4motion not quite a R32 but imho a very good fastish 4x4 car,well built,quiet,comfy and not too bad on the fuel i,v come from jap cars (scoobs,evo,pulsur,gt4's) yes the jap may have a bit more go in them and a bit more nibble through the bends but i prefer the vw and its the only 4x4 hatch that me dog can fit in other than a estate or big 4x4 (proper offroader)

my next car they are sexy brutes. in grey of course

yeah if you can fine one... :D

as said natural stepping stone just check a youth hasnt had it and has serviced it as that can be a little of the readies..only other car I would think about is the S4 but they cost more and have a boot... ;)

• 1 month later...

Many of you have valid points. Personally I have an R and I wouldnt trade it for the world. Great starting platform for power and handling. That being said here are some things to consider. Maintenance. This WILL cost you. For instance it costs me about $75 to service the Halidex unit. An oil change will cost you about $50 for a full synthetic change, if you do it yourself. Then there are the tires. Unlike most FW or RW drive cars you cant replace two of them at a time, you have to do all 4 at once to make sure there isnt an imbalance in the AWD system, which is very expensive to replace if you screw it up. If you break something, parts tend to be expensive to replace. If I were considering one of these I would get one and do the following: nice set of rims with good performance tires on them, a better than stock suspension change, intake, exhaust and if you get real ambitious a supercharger, but it is not necessary. With those modest upgrades you will be able to push the car harder and farther than most others and it will still be enjoyable, especially around the 4500 rev range and above. But what do I know, Im just one of those guys from across the pond.