Don't laugh... (2nd car decision)

As some know, as part of my job, I've got to carry computer equipment here and there and I've always wanted a slave car to carry and pick up parts for the Golf and use for carrying mates..

Well, the choice was always between an A4 20VT and Passat 20VT.. But I came across a car which offered more for the money in EVERY way..

Power, toys, reliability e.t.c

A Volvo 850 T5 Est!

I'd be silly not to, for the money I'm loooking to spend on a runabout, I'd be silly not to go for one..

Round about 100k on the clock, I get elec headted leather, CD Player, elec everything, alloys, A/C, a HUGEE boot, and most importantly a 2.3 20v 5cylinder 225/240 bhp engine which does 7.2 0-60!!

I think its a bargain, and a neighbour a few doors down has one going strong on 172k!!

I've ALWAYS had a thing for them, love the boxiness before someone mentions that!

It was a shock, im only JUST 20, no no claims as on mum name and live in South London..

The insurance FULLY comp is £728 which is bloody good i thought, that was a quote from elephant who i normally find expensive too!

Can piss off the local max power brigade with my dump valve tishhing away in front of them from the lights! lol

God, i do go on and on dont I! lol

I don't know what the hell as happened..

I was only day dreaming about getting insured on 20VT's and the like aswell as my car nce the VR's in..

But the insurance has suddenly got stupidly cheap for my age!!!

Surely insurance isn't effected by a job title?

When i used to put myself as s tudent, insurance wasn't possibly on cars... but now im not, im getting really good qoutes somehow..

Maybe my area is ok..lol who knows..

I did think about a standard VR for a runabout, but the insurance was a bit less than £900 and no point having 2 similar cars...

iv always liked t5 nutters job title has alot to do with insurance the arseholes think that if u do alot of miles in a works car/van then ur a higher risk?? wtf surely if u drive alot then u can read the road better etc etc just another bs excuse to rob ur eyes and brains out if u ask me sry bout that needed to get it off my chest

ps t5 vs vr would be an interesting contest

Mark, I owned a T5, and to be perfectly honest i reckon sometimes you'll have more fun driving that around than a VR! It will whoop a VR (standard) on a straight easily. They are very refined and really comfortable. I actually still miss the tank. Mine was a lovely met burgandy with full black leather. The 2.3 sounded so creamy and velvety. Bullet proof engines as well. They can be easily chipped up to about 270bhp. Then Porsches will have trouble keeping UP WITH YOU!!!

Do the right thing mate.... go swedish :)

Yeah, guna experiment with changing job titles see if it has an effect..

I did think that, its meant to be my runaround, but its going to be as quick as my VR! LOL

The guy few doors up as footage of his doing 150+ on an autobahn! lol The things totally bogo too!

Only thing Im worried about is a knackered turbo...

Im stopping myself from doing much to it as its meant to be the practical car. But plans are just to wack a sub and amp in it, then fit a d/valve and filter and my neighbour has subtle -25mm H&R springs..

Has to be done I think..

:D More excited about the Volvo than my VR! LOL

Hope its worth it though, putting off my supercharger for it!

job title has alot to do with insurance the arseholes think that if u do alot of miles in a works car/van then ur a higher risk?? wtf surely if u drive alot then u can read the road better etc etc just another bs excuse to rob ur eyes and brains out if u ask me sry bout that needed to get it off my chest

It's not the 'arseholes' thinking, it's based on statistical analysis! Your occupation gives a distinct indication of the type of person you are, and this is borne out by attitudes to risk etc.

Yeah, business class A/1..

But just going to put social, it will be more social than work tbh.. As I wont be using my car all the time, be takin turns with 3 other people on driving..

Was contemplating your GTi, but the insruance was slightly more than the Volvo!!

Yeah' date=' business class A/1..

But just going to put social, it will be more social than work tbh.. As I wont be using my car all the time, be takin turns with 3 other people on driving..

Was contemplating your GTi, but the insruance was slightly more than the Volvo!![/quote']

Just going to put social??? Very silly....means any driving you do for work your not insured, so you'd be buying a car for work, that you can;t use for work, Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

[ Edited Sun Dec 19 2004, 11:03PM ]

Not buying it purely for work, but will have to use it to drive to an office or something to interview a client, or lug equipment home.

End of the day, I dont have to tell the insurance company I was working if something was to happen, I'd just say I had day off or something, but its not something thats asked apparently. Literally will be once a week that I'll have to drive, as Im sharing a driving rotor with 3 others.

lol, the club gti in people will come out now!

[ Edited Sun Dec 19 2004, 11:51PM ]

Not buying it purely for work' date=' but will have to use it to drive to an office or something to interview a client, or lug equipment home.

End of the day, I dont have to tell the insurance company I was working if something was to happen, I'd just say I had day off or something, but its not something thats asked apparently. Literally will be once a week that I'll have to drive, as Im sharing a driving rotor with 3 others.

lol, the club gti in people will come out now!

[/quote']

Silly. Very silly. Especially if you get caught.

[ Edited Mon Dec 20 2004, 11:04AM ]

I personally wouldn't risk lying to an Insurance Company - That's exactly what they WANT you to do!

Can't you get it insured through Work if that's what you're going to use it for?

Good cars, but think of the repair bills, plus running costs (Service + Fuel really) it'll be fun, fast and a good street sleeper but as i said you do have to watch out for things going wrong...... although they're bullet proof, they're very expensive to fix when something does eventually go wrong.

I joined the T5 owners club forum! lolol

Servicing I'll do myself, running costs not bothered about.. But if something goes wrong, then thats my bad luck, but shud be worth keeping it road worthy as I doubt anyone will buy it from me when im finished as I plan to keep it as long as its runs for.

Few tuning sites I was introduced to offer some great deals!

290bhp is EASY and most of the owners club people are running over 300bhp with high milers engines! All for under £300!!

The things gonna make VR's feel sloww, even when I've got the charger on!! :( O welll

HAd a peak at the guy a few doors up and the boot is HUGEEE, so be good for lugging wheels and engines about, so should do the job :D

Going to go look around for some now

Cool can't knock those volvo T5's my b/f had an ex police one fuck me its one of the nuttiest front wheel drive car I've ever driven 8) lots of fun with that turbo. I never forget I took it down a slip road and onto the motorway and straight into the fast last and then decided to look at the speedo which was slightly over 130 mark :D oops lol. one things for sure they have great road presance cause every fecker gets out of the way of them cause they think its an unmarked cop car lol 8)