Getting the most outta the VR6 w/o charging

hey all, seeing as i got another job now i am keeping the vr6 and doing her up.

Tho after reading countless posts I am confused more than ever. I dont have the money (in the near future anyway) to charge it, either super or turbo. So the areas I am looking for improvement is the induction kit, chip remap?, exhaust system, cams?, manifold (shrick?).

With the induction kit the power gains arent that much different are they from K&N to BCA tho the price diff is quite a bit. Will a chip remap or new chip really make that much diff to a standard lump? Looking at the milltek but mot needed in March so would either get after mot and get a decat or get it soon and get normal. Ive heard the decat wont pass an mot.

All views welcome and mega happy not to be seeling the beast, well beast to be, its more of a tiger cub at the mo lol

without a turbo or a charger the most you can expect from a n/a VR is around 220bhp - and by the time you have bought cams, a schrick, 6 branch, new exhaust etc then you have almost spent the same as you would on a stage 1 charger setup !! :) things like a de-cat, 6-branch exhaust will only give you a very small gain in power and as Key proved recently the standard air filter gives better gains than any aftermarket products mate :) here http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?326899.0

Yours will be an OBD2, which means chipping it just isnt worth it for the gain you get and you will fail with a decat unless you have a friendly mot tester ;)

As ben says, by the time you buy all the bits to squeeze an extra 20 or 30 bhp you would have spent a fair whack of the turbo/charger money for not a massive difference.... i reckon you should just save hard and in the meantime drive it like you stole it cuz they can still be fun as stock... :) :)

shame i dont have the standard filter anymore, prev owner put a cone filter on. i'm not looking at doing all those things also. i know that i wont get much more out of her. its just that everywhere i look its telling me its mininum £2500-£3000 to get charged. Think its better just to get the exhaust coz its the standard one and its done 165k, unlike the engine

plenty of original filter's about mate :) well then if you go for cams, exhaust, 6 branch and maybe a de-cat then you will need a re-map so your probably looking at £1.5K for all that lot, and if you can find a kit come up second hand then you will probably be paying about the same :)

spose' date=' i dont drive it that often coz the fuels a bugger, its actually worse than the pulsar i had lol, but it sounds so goooooood when the foots planted

[/quote']

how bad is bad mate ?? what sort of figures are you getting ?

tbh i need to fill up the petrol can and just run her into the ground and see what figures i'm getting. i'm thinking the sensor might be buggered coz i can put in say 20 when the needle is on the qtr and it will go to just over the half, but then 40 miles lata it will go back to the qtr, then i can stay there for around 90 miles, tbh the fuels prob ok, i'm just too scared to drive her till the light comes on in case that sensor is buggered too lol

they dont have a low petrol warning light mate !

yeah its around 28 on mway' date=' think around 21 normal driving but dont check it that often when normal driving

[/quote']

mmm well that does sound a touch low - have you given it a service ? cleaned maf throttle body checked sensor's that type of thing ?

personaly if i didnt have the money to charge it yet i would sort the handling out good coilovers not cheap ones arb's, strut braces and uprated engine and gearbox mounts also poly bush all the wishbones etc decent rubber then she will go some on the twisties lol

You may get 220hp on optimistic rollers with all those NA mods.... not on a dyno dynamics [wink]

0BD2 2.8

268 Dougherty cams

205hp....

Who said chipping an OBD II isn't worth it?

I'm willing to argue, as I suspect C2 UK would be too....