A debate it is' date=' and i'l have my say next please Madam speaker

Doing 60 in a 30 is a complete disregard for anybody else. What if you were to get a blow out on this 30 road, at 60, hit the kerb, roll it...at say 50mph, it will take you about 1 second to cover the 20 meters to the houses, and you end up in someones front garden. The entire accident over inside 5 seconds. What qualifications do you have that suggest you could react? They are called accidents beause we don't intend them to happen, and we are unable to predict them. Most happen faster than we are able to react.

" It will never happen to me, i'm too careful, too vigilant, i have 20/20 vision, i used to drive for the police, i do track days, i know how to drive fast, safely, i know this road like the back of my hand, i'm an advanced driver, my last name is Button" all complete bullshit when my child steps in front of your car, or worse still, you mount a pavement.

Speed limits save lives. Simple.

I have 2 young children, and it cuts like a knife to read of people flaunting a 30 speed limit like an inconvienience.

[/quote']

As above a debate it is

i agree that 60 in a 30 is slightly irresponsible, but to say i am flaunting it is a bit rash??

I have justified my own belief as to why at certain times i have done 60 and obviously people will disagree

i could have a blow out 70 on the motorway, flip over the reservation and wipe your entire family out in one foul swoop

something i hope never ever happens

and as for the whole bigging ones self up sentence advanced driver who ha, please read the entire thread as i dont beieve i have done this once

PS: i have had a blow out at 65mph, on a dual carriage near shops, within the speed limit, and i also hit the pavement quite hard, yet i didnt roll, hit anyone else, or even injure myself, i also missed the group of school kids

i handled the situation really well and safely and have faith in my ability

however asked before this accident i i knew how to handle it?? I cudnt of told u

i have young brothers and sisters and would be mortified if anything happened to them on the road

u cannot begin to understand the thought i put into my game

I've said the same things about my ability.

I lost the car at 20 round an island flooded with diesel but kept the car in my lane, engaging 1st, reverse, braking to do so..... kept from hitting a merc next to me..... luck AND dozens of skid pan sessions at Thruxton.

I've also lost a 205 GTI round a corner at 60 and rolled 3 times into a 7 foot wide Oak tree..... abilities I thought I had.

My brother hit a 12 year old boy a year ago that ran out from behind a bus. The limit was 40 but he slowed to 25 as he went past the bus and hit him. Fractureed pelvis, broken legs ect ect.......the police didn't charge him with anything.

If you're driving within the law and summin bad happens, so be it. If your driving outside the law, enjoy the crap that follows.

A debate it is' date=' and i'l have my say next please Madam speaker

Doing 60 in a 30 is a complete disregard for anybody else. What if you were to get a blow out on this 30 road, at 60, hit the kerb, roll it...at say 50mph, it will take you about 1 second to cover the 20 meters to the houses, and you end up in someones front garden. The entire accident over inside 5 seconds. What qualifications do you have that suggest you could react? They are called accidents beause we don't intend them to happen, and we are unable to predict them. Most happen faster than we are able to react.

" It will never happen to me, i'm too careful, too vigilant, i have 20/20 vision, i used to drive for the police, i do track days, i know how to drive fast, safely, i know this road like the back of my hand, i'm an advanced driver, my last name is Button" all complete bullshit when my child steps in front of your car, or worse still, you mount a pavement.

Speed limits save lives. Simple.

I have 2 young children, and it cuts like a knife to read of people flaunting a 30 speed limit like an inconvienience.

[/quote']

As above a debate it is

i agree that 60 in a 30 is slightly irresponsible, but to say i am flaunting it is a bit rash??

I have justified my own belief as to why at certain times i have done 60 and obviously people will disagree

i could have a blow out 70 on the motorway, flip over the reservation and wipe your entire family out in one foul swoop

something i hope never ever happens

and as for the whole bigging ones self up sentence advanced driver who ha, please read the entire thread as i dont beieve i have done this once

PS: i have had a blow out at 65mph, on a dual carriage near shops, within the speed limit, and i also hit the pavement quite hard, yet i didnt roll, hit anyone else, or even injure myself, i also missed the group of school kids

I think he was just making a general point about how some people act, not necessarily having a pop out you bud.

^^ hmmm reading back and without him clarifying im unsure, but i see your point

After what i have written, even though i have justified myself as to why i do it, i cannot and would not try and jsutify speading overall I highly expect to be haven a pop taken at me, and i guess i was almost expecting it,

If someone does have a pop so long as its relevant i have no problem and ill take it on the chin

just out of curiousity james' date=' how old are you and how long have you been driving?

[/quote']

I am 21 and driving for three years

You can see why i get labelled a barry boy racer kind type lol.

Hence why i tend to "over justify" myself to prove my point

Two weeks after my test it snowed heavily, so i tiptoed the car down to the local tesco carpark early one morning, checked for hidden kerbs, and drove in circles until i lost control and then learnt to re-gain control, i did this for so long i used two tanks of petrol, i repeated this the next few mornings in a row.

Now i can happily say i am very confident driving in icey/snowey conditions, it doesnt mean i think i am god and can go drifting the first sign of ice, it jsut means i know i can handle the road conditions should i need to,

I also did the above in very wet conditions, and indeed very dry conditions (had to use handbrake to emulate skid)

all in the aid of wanting to be a better driver, not many 18 year olds would go through those lengths!!!!!

(And before anyone says it, it was not irresponsible, it was a carpark at 3am!!!)

To be honest a LOT of people i know have spent many nights in carparks at 17 doing handbrake turns, drifting on the snow etc.... and you can learn some stuff that way, but not really a lot to be honest... the best experience is road driving in different conditions and lots of it.

I am 25, been driving well over 7 years and i drive every day, only missed about 10 days the whole time. I am a confident driver, as i think confidence is important, being unsure or hesitant can bring you down, however, i also realise that its not always about how i drive or how planned out my driving is... there is always a risk as a road is a public place... there will always be the odd cyclist, a tractor pulling out of a junction, a pedestrian, or even another speeding car,

To have the view that you are safe when speeding because you think it through is very naieve.... im not having a dig, its just ive had a few near misses through situations not caused by myself, i also am in pain every single day of my life due to someone driving (within the limit) but although she may have thought her speed was safe, it wasnt.

Fact is if you are going to speed, you have to accept your risk of an accident is higher... you also have to accept that no matter what the circumstances, you have a crash when speeding and it is your fault, as if you were driving to the limit then you could possibly have had more reaction time and have avoided any accident you may have had. Its just how it is.

Im sure a lot of us speed and i agree with some of your points like when you're on it as you are more vigilant and more 'ready' to avoid an accident but i dont ever see when 60 in a 30 would be neccessary. i would rather be 5 mins late than risk that to be honest.

this is not a personal dig at you in any way... i am just getting my point across. i am not saying im perfect and that i dont speed, because i do.. and i have done a lot of stupid things that i look back to when i was 17/18 and think im suprised i got away with it, its only over time and seeing accidents my friends have had, and near misses that have made me sit back and rethink my view. Hence why i am 25 with no accidents, no convictions.... ive only been pulled once and that was for 70 in a 60 on a road called the 'earls colne straight' at midnight with no other cars on the road, thats why they let me off...

the point in the course you went on is speed 'awareness' and you should take from that and from this thread that speed should be treated with respect and to look at it from a different point of view... and in my eyes stick to 30 man!! you do not wanna live knowing you killed a kid cuz you were speeding...

i was offered a coarse on road saftey after a was cought in derby on stores road doing average of 70mph in a 30mph zone at 3am on a saturday night. I was pulled and went through all the stuff like were u going etc why was u speeding to be fair was being very cocky and had a answer for everything even down to saying look officer im picking 3 girls up i was late ur keeping me ur putting there lifes at risk while there standing around out side the night club. let me go never gave me any paperwork. said courts would be in touch. moths passed and yes they did get in contact saying do this improvement corse or go to court for dangerous driving twice over speed limit. waited didnt replay to them about the coarse they wrote to me saying that due to lack of evidance would not be taking it to court. From that day on im more carefull about what i do and where i do it. im not saying dont speed cause we all do it, but just have a bit more for about what if a kid runs out or what if my tyre blows or what if they brake hard could i stop

Sometimes it doesn't matter how confident & safe a driver you are, there will always be other drivers who aren't.

2 weeks ago my best friend who i grew up with was killed and onother of my friends put in intensive care and is still unconcious due to a reckless driver who overtook at about 80 on a blind bend and hit them head on.

I have to drive to work and back every day on the road where it happened.

It certainly makes me think twice about the speed that i do but then that isn't always the problem.

You are only as good as the lowest common denominator on the road or path. You can be as safe as can be, but should always expect the unexpected.

I speed but mainly on the motorway or dual carriage ways with good visablity and a bit of road knowledge, but soon as cars appear I slow it down.

The beauty of the VR whether FI or NA is that you have the chance to drive quickly....doesnt mean you have too tho. The power is there to get you out of trouble, but can also get you in trouble.

All I will say is be safe

2 weeks ago my best friend who i grew up with was killed and onother of my friends put in intensive care and is still unconcious due to a reckless driver who overtook at about 80 on a blind bend and hit them head on.

Sorry to hear this Sam, i hope your friend pulls through... a hard lesson learnt there for that driver... :(

Sorry to hear this Sam' date=' i hope your friend pulls through... a hard lesson learnt there for that driver... :(

[/quote']

Thanks Nat, unfortunately it doesn't look good, doesn't seem to be any brain activity at the moment.

The driver of the other car is in hospital too and is looking to be charged with death by dangerous driving, speeding, going to have the book thrown at him.

Steve was 30 too so not like he was an inexpereinced driver, taught me to drive and was always really sensible so it just goes to show..always be some ****head driving dangerously.

ahhh man that is really bad...

The really wrong thing about all this is that the driver will prob only get a year or 2 in prison... not quite a fitting punishment for the actions really

Even though it was unintentional for him to kill your friend and hospitalise another, fact is he took the descision to make a risky move, and on his head be it... but to do it in a place where other peoples lifes are at risk is just unacceptable and people like him should be used as an example to all the other d**k heads out there that get away with making stupid manoeuvres like that.

I also am sorry to hear of your friend. I hope they recover fully.

James, i apologise, but i did aim my post at you for the 60 in a 30 statement, nothing else, everything else was just a general rant in black and white. The rest of my post was sourced around 10 years of being an accident repair mechanic. You learn pretty quickly what damage occurs at what speed. I started this job when i was 16, so my driving was reserved from the off.

If the whole world saw what the traffic police have to see on a daily basis, we would all drive safer.

Anyhow, i do believe we are ever so slightly off the topic of speed school.

I've said me bit, i apologise again for any offence.

ive done recovery work for a few years now and drove hgvs across europe for 3 yrs and after doing the recovery my driving has completly changed i look at these young boy racers flying past my house meters from the garden gate where my kid is playing thinking ho imature i was at that age doing the same and the things i see when turning up to recover accidents but can see the difference between the speed involved and it is really noticable and worst still are the fatals and most fatals are from exessive speed im sure bigjobbo could tell the diferance aswell. ive havnt picked a fatal up yet from minor bumps around 30-40....so i always respect the 30 and 40 limits but now and again have a play on the open roads 60 limit where if i were to crash the chances are im not going to hurt anyone else but still respectfull. most of the time im doing 56 ish on a 60 road too many years driving hgvs lol

I also am sorry to hear of your friend. I hope they recover fully.

James' date=' i apologise, but i did aim my post at you for the 60 in a 30 statement, nothing else, everything else was just a general rant in black and white. The rest of my post was sourced around 10 years of being an accident repair mechanic. You learn pretty quickly what damage occurs at what speed. I started this job when i was 16, so my driving was reserved from the off.

If the whole world saw what the traffic police have to see on a daily basis, we would all drive safer.

Anyhow, i do believe we are ever so slightly off the topic of speed school.

I've said me bit, i apologise again for any offence.

[/quote']

thats fair game buddy, input is appreciated and noted

i used to do the same as u but slightly more cosmetic based so ive seen alot of the consequences as well, a good mate is also a traffic cop so i hear all the stories as well

its hard to describe my actions online and without u knowing me seeing my driving and the locations i talk of, im sure if u sat in my car u wud maybe understand more, but obviously still not condone it lol