Oak Green VR6 Transplant

Pretty new to this site but thought i would stick my little project up. Owned the car for about 4 yrs and only done 500miles in the thing :shock:

I had ideas of a G60 lump in it because i love the sound :up: bought one but never fitted it then swopped the car and engine...long story! Got it back but without the engine and bought a VR lump. Its been well detailed, painted with stainless bolts etc

Anyway the build so far....

Took the 16v out sorry no pics.

Heres the engine

eng1.JPG

and box (bit dusty from being in the shed)

gear1.JPG

I painted the inlet

inlet1.JPG

Strange one this, the guy i bought the engine off told me he was fitting new chains/guides. When i picked it up he even gave me the receipt from VW. When i removed the rocker cover as it needed a gasket i thought the chain looked a little old so i removed the top chain cover to find this

chain1.JPG

The guy seemed really genuine so not sure what is going on. The problem is he is now in Basrah so i cannot contact him. So had to fork out on new chains etc :(

Removed the rod change selector and fitted the cable

sel1.JPG

Removed the engine loom. This is the bit i'm worried about the most...wiring!!!

fuse1.JPG

Cleaned up the engine bay

bay1.JPG

Flitches are solid. Just need to jenolite the surface rust and touch up. Not bad for a 18yr old car

bay2.JPG

bay3.JPG

Painted some existing bits and rebuilt the mk3 subframe with poly bushes (subframe was already powdercoated)

sub1.JPG

sub2.JPG

sub3.JPG

Fitted the subframe back into the car. Feels good to be putting things on rather than taking them of

subin1.JPG

And one with the wheels back on

subin2.JPG

Lots of things still to do inc. the timing chains. :?

Thanks for all the positive comments.

good stuff mate' date=' looking very nice. are you going to do the chains yourself? There's a detailed guide in premium members section.

[/quote']

Have done chains just not got that far with posting up my progress yet. I'll add another installment now :)

great progress mate' date=' brings back memories! how many miles has the engine done?

[/quote']

The engine had done 90 something. Cannot remember now :$

Next installment...

Got the hydro pedal box altered. The top fixing bracket needs moving over by about 20mm. I removed the existing one and put it on the new box. (when i say 'i' i mean my neighbour lol i cannot weld for toffee!)

Pedal1.jpg

Pedal2.jpg

I then had a go at modifying the bulkhead. This is how it is

Bulk1.jpg

Tried to flatten it using a big clamp and a couple of pieces of wood. Thought this wouldsave hamming the feck out of it..............it didn't work :cry: . Sooo, my neighbour is coming round one evening to give me a hand. He used to be a panel beater by trade :up:

Bulk2.jpg

Next i started on the alternator. Bought a 150 amp from ebay and this is how it arrived :shock: .

Alt1.jpg

Tried splitting it but it is a right ball ache so put it back together and got the wire brushes out. Then a couple of coats of etching primer

Alt2.jpg

And finally a couple of coats of satin black and with the powder coated pulley on 8)

Alt3.jpg

Alt4.jpg

Did the same on the servo and cylinders

Wire brushed the tired servo

Servo1.jpg

In primer

Servo2.jpg

Servo done

Servo3.jpg

Put the cylinder and servo together for storage and notice later that some brake fluid was still in the cylinder and had run down the servo lifting all the paint....joy!

Started stripping the loom. Its a bit scary at first but once you start removing what you don't need it isn't too bad.

Got to order some more stainless bolts for the injector rail and alternator now.

Its getting there...slowly.

Next update.

Got the alternator fitted. Had to wait for the stainless bolts. Need to do something abot the orrible bolt :(

alton1.jpg

alton2.jpg

Fitted the fuel rail and injectors. Painted them satin black first and again used stainless bolts to fit the rail.

inject1.jpg

Still not got the pedal box in as my neighbour has been busy. I might have to go at it myself :shock:

Inlet manifold is at the fabricators being tweeked :wink:

FInally got the pedal box in. I didn't think it was as easy as people make out.

Heres how the bulkhead started

Bulk1.jpg

I then bolted the box up without the servo but put nuts and bolts in the holes to firm up the bulkhead. Then went to work with the hammer

clutch1.jpg

You can see here i went a bit crazy...you don't need to flatten this bit. Once i got it fairly flat i drilled the two fixing holes and opened the centre hole out with a file. Didn't have a hole cutter big enough.

clutch2.jpg

Then gave it a quick paint up with some touch up paint. When the servo and clutch cylinder is bolted up it looks nice and clean :up:

clutch3.jpg

My next problem is the hydro pedal box sits slightly closer to the drivers side as you can see in the above pics. All the bolts on the padel box line up but to get it fit i had to remove the fusebox holder. Now the holes on the fusebox holder don't line up :mad: Going to have to drill some more fixings and hope it fits :? Anyone else come across this?

Bought another load of stuff from VW as well. There was several gaskets missing when i bought the engine...bloody hell they ain't cheap!!!

Started on the loom too. Will get pics up of that next.

Small update.

Been spending most my time sorting the looms and retaping them. Finally got them in and bolted up the pedal box servo and clutch master.

servoin.jpg

loom1.jpg

I'm trying to work out where to put the ecu. Where has everyone put theses?

Got some fuel lines and fitted those

fuel.jpg

Apart from the above i've been sourcing parts

New Corrado VR rad

rad1.jpg

VR PS pipes and resa

ps1.jpg

All the timing chain bits...check out the plate for locking the cams at the back. Its great have a fabby as a neighbour!

timing1.jpg

Got myself a BMW positive battery cable so i can put the battery in the boot.

pos1.jpg

Also bought a 6 branch and decat but waiting for them to arrive.

Small update for here but a big one for me. The timing chains are done!

Dont get many pictures as i was in the zone getting them on. Big thanks to my mate Mal who helped me :up:

One of the fitted top chain

newchain.jpg

The old tensioner

oldtension.jpg

New tensioner fitted

newtension.jpg

When i checked the timing on the existing setup it seemed to be out by a fraction. The slots on the cams werent quite horizontal. After putting the new chains on they lined up spot on. Anyone come across this before?

Fitted the covers back on with some rvt sealent

coverson.jpg

and fitted the coilpack and brackets etc

coilon.jpg

To make room in the shed i had to move the gearbox so took a couple of pics

gearbox1.jpg

gearbox2.jpg

Treated myself to these too...got to sell a few things now to buy some new dishes

rm1.jpg

Getting there........slowly.

Update time.

Had these delivered from Euro Car Parts.

service.jpg

Fitted the flywheel and new clutch. Put new filter and plugs in.

clutch.jpg

Strarted putting all the bits back on the engine, injection loom, aux pump, coil pack and one of the covers. Initially i wasnt going to put the covers on. I was going with the smooth look (inlet is at the fabricators at the mo being smoothed) but i quite like the way it looks.

cover.jpg

Had this delivered too...6 branch and decat 8)

6branch.jpg

Then got distracted as i tend to do. When the car is back together im going to run the original gti quad grill but the hella spots look misty against my new cross hairs so.....i split them.

lightin.jpg

Cleaned the inside of the glass which made a massive difference

fogglass.jpg

Here they are side by side

bothlights.jpg

Engine is pretty much ready to go in now :up:

Its in!

Got a couple of mates round tonight and got the engine in.

Assembled the cross member ready for the event

crossmember.jpg

Wheeled the engine round from the back garden workshop to the drive using the trusty engine moving tool (an old skateboard :shock: ) This has been the fourth engine conversion it has seen, and by the weight of the bloody lump it was nearly its last! Dropped it on some timber and fitted the gearbox.

engin1.jpg

gearboxon.jpg

Then manouvered the engine and box into position with the good ole skateboard (no fancy hoists here)

engin2.jpg

Marked the flitch, moved the engine out and gave it a belting :o

Moved the engine back into place and fitted the cross member

engin3.jpg

This is how she sits now, note the happy helpers in the background with refreshments

happyhelpers.jpg

Make a quick visit to the offie to fuel the lads and spent the rest of the evening admiring what we had done and drinking lots of beer :up: