Do i need my catalytic converter?

Been trying to find out whether i need my catalytic converter as am looking into changing my exhaust system from the down-pipe back. My car is a 92 k-reg.

Am sure i heard a while ago that cars built BEFORE 92 don't require one but am unsure if this is true as i cannot seem to find any info to back this up?

If anyone has any thoughts or own personal experience of this matter then i would be very greatful for your help.

Cheers, Dave.

as above if it came with one it will need one' date=' but you could run a de-cat pipe and re-fit the cat for MOT but thats up to you! :)

[/quote']

technically that's only true if the car was first registered after August 1992, ie K + .

Well i found out some interesting news on this. Goth is right aug 92 on must have a cat....but if said car produced after this date passes emissions without a cat as though it had a cat..it should be ok. Got this from a reliable source but dont know how possible it is maybe on an obd2 it may calculate emission so they may pass??????????

Yea it does but if the car had a cat then surely the car has been designed with a cat in mind and it would be very difficult to get the car through the emissions without one, i suppose a car without a cat they didnt much care what emissions came out as long as the mixture was correct.............dont think that made much sense either............. 8-)

To be honest, i think its going to be down to how hot your MOT tester is, providing it passes emissions I cant imagen the MOT tester questioning if it should have a cat or not, unless they know that type of car well. I would run a de-cat pipe put it in and see if its passes. if it dosen’t its only a 5 min job to put the cat back and then you will know for the future!