Bye bye VW

Well the time has come to say goodbye to VWs for a while..

here's what I'm defecting to:

media?id=127088036

media?id=127088039

media?id=127088043

She's a 3ltr 24v Twin Turbo Nissan 300zx.

300bhp as Standard, with a Nice Subtle Body Kit in Pearl White and Leather/Alacantra Interior.

And before you say it.. YES.. I'll be back. As soon as R32s become better value, I'll be back around I'm sure.

Everyone that is buying the modifications from my VR6 have made an excellent aquisition and I'll pop in from time to time to see how you are getting on with them.

Don't forget - The Schrick Manifold is still for sale, and my STANDARD VR6 will be too once it's back to Normal for a VERY cheap price.

Defect being the right word lol

Only joking mate, but i hope you got your Medallion and hairy chest out for show ;)

I actually quite like the 300ZX, but the thought of it going wrong is just too scary, i know they're cheap but if that lump goes - it's gonna be $$$$'s

aye.. automatic with OVERDRIVE..

In terms of costs.. I've done my research, and to be fair, some things are cheaper than VR6 parts.

It had a new engine 20,000 miles ago too.. I found a good mechanic/enthusiast locally so it's all good.

That's cool if it's had a new engine - why did the last one go???

I think the only thing you'll miss is the Build quality - but it'll still bring a smile to your face every time you take it out and get the arse end stepping out ;)

Errrrr...Don't ya mean a few "Tankslappers"????? !amazed ;);):P

Oh! and Deamon Tweaks do an excellent line in Kevlar Shorts for such moments..... ;)

All the best anyway nick, I'm sure it will bring a massive grin factor to yer boat race...I'd be interested in the Fuel economy comparisons to the VR though....

Have Fun!!! 8) :P

The 300ZX's are great cars but im not sure id have an auto one - only ever been in a manual and that was fairly rapid but not in a frantic way.

Two friends have had them - one was a mint manual tt lwb one that was very reliable but he only owned it for a few months because the prospect of it needing a 'freshen up' was daunting money wise so he got out.

My other mate had a very rare swb two seater tt in red with leather and manual - this was lovely and no longer than a second generation MR2 - unfortunately he stacked it in to a tree in the damp :o .

He bought another one a year or so later and this was an auto tt - it blew the box shortly afterwards and luckily for him he had a warranty on the thing because the rebuild was the wrong side of £2k iirc.

Good luck chap ;) - i dont want to say 'i think your gonna need it' but i have a sneaking suspiscion you will :o

Let us know how you fare with it 8)

Ive been looking at 'Zeds' as well recently so i'll be very interested to see how you get on.

The only real downside ive heard levelled at them is the reliability/ cost of maintainance as everyone here is pointing out.

Although i have never owned or known anyone to own one, im not really convinced from everything ive read and heard that its going to be any more expensive than any other car with that sort of performance! (170mph+, big heavy car 5.5 to 60) Many reviews have high regard for the cars build quality and reliability in fact - it is a nissan after all. Sure there'll be some dogs out there, but so long as youve picked a good one...

Make sure you check out www.300zx.co.uk if you havent done so already, the members were very friendly and helpful when i asked questions.

The car has been going to the same garage since it was imported in 97'. So I managed to get a full report from the guy who's been looking after it after I checked out the invoices for work on the car and did my research.

I'll be honest guys.. the VR6 was never reliable, so if the ZX has problems it will be nothing new for me.

Automatic appeals to me at the moment, I put a lot of miles AND work into the golf and now I just want something that's easier to drive and run, but still has the performance to match.

At the end of the day, a 300bhp Sports Car is going to run hot, you just have to check oil and cooling and you are flying.. it's a routine I've been in ever since I fitted the charger to the VR.

So I don't worry.. PESIMISTIC BAR STEWARDS!! :P

Well I've not actually got the car yet. Will be another 3 weeks - I asked for a few asthetics, the tracking and the timing belt and service to be done as part of the deal.

Performace wise, I've driven a few.. considering there are only 4 speeds on the autobox, the kickdown is smooth yet you really feel every one of those 300 ponies as you accelerate. I'm yet to drive one in the faster mode yet though.. I've got zero experience with automatics, but I believe the overdrive adjusts the ratios of the gearbox for improved acceleration at the flick of a switch (someone correct me if I'm wrong) hence the high costs of gearbox replacement.

It doesn't feel as frantically quick as my golf, but then again, the Zed is much bigger and heavier, so it sort of protects you from the elements of speed to a point.

I can't even remember what a standard VR6 feels like anymore, I remember when I first bought it I was sort of disappointed with the performance, but the plan was always to put the charger on it anyway.

Yeah 0-60 in 5.5, i thought the TT was about 6.7 - 7 sec and the NA version was about 7.8. my na supe gave TT z's a bit of a challange :P . and for the auto i think they are very good on jap cars as my FTO was auto and my supe, but its down to personal preference and whether you sit in traffic alot ;) .

Overdrive is just fourth gear but with a longer drive ratio so it cruises at high speed, like doing 80mph at about 2.5-3 thousand revs. unless its got a sports mode it does not make any difference if it is turned on or not, unless there is a little mechanic sitting under the car with a spare box :o:P

I'm presuming your 'Supe' was a Supra?

My dad had the 3ltr Auto and it was awsome upto 100 mph, it's really over that where the Turbos have the huge advantage.

Thanks for the info on overdrive, there's naff all on the net about it..

Turbo Supra's were loads faster then N/A ones - even before 100 mph......

I wasted a Supra in my R5 Turbo - i soon realised it was an N/A model when i tested a Twin Turbo Supra, nice......... but a bit big and boat like i felt?

I do like the look of the 300zx, and you don't see that many around which is always nice!

They do some really nice bits for them too, good luck with her!