Honda Integra Type R

Oh god am I in trouble now, a good friend of mine has just bought herself a mint '98 Integra Type R.... &|

Took me out for a boost, and my my my that is a quick car and it handles like nothing I've felt before through the twisties. Makes me wonder about my VR sometimes especially the Type R's 0-60MPH of 6.2 sec ~:( I love my VR to bits but I'm left wondering would I be better off in an Integra!? Admittedly it is not as smooth and rather flimsy but it sure is fun feeling that VTEC in full song B)

Plus she's a girl, younger than me :@ ;)

I've been out in a teg-r and it felt pathetic low down and not much better high up. It's still small displacement engine and it feels like it next to a vr6. The handling did feel excellent though, but a corrado vr6 is too so I'd consider a rado, then you can have the best of both worlds.

Whats up with the gearboxes on the integra then? is that jap imports as well do you know? and yeah there is no other engine like the vr for being so torquey throughout the rev range, and as people say you do really have to rag the nuts off the VTEC before it starts going.

design fault with the gear boxes .. not too sure if it affects the imports but it does affect the uk models .. i t's somthing to do with the fith gear selector fork being too long or too short or too bendy somthing like that .. do a search on http://www.hondarevolutions.com/ for atr gearbox fault and that should tell you all you need to know

[ Edited Sun Nov 14 2004, 09:43PM ]

i used to own an accord type r before i bought my vr .. and i sold it to a mate , we meet up all the time to compare.

guys this might upset some of you but ,

no unmodified vr can catch an accord type r to 100mph (tegs are slightly faster) ... after that vr's will dominate ..

thats not an opinion it's fact ..

i think lot of it is down to the driver.......on paper the type r is quicker so if two driver's who know there own cars have a rip chances are the quicker one on paper will come out top.......any v-tec need's to be worked hard...unless the driver does this he will always be at a disadvantage

yeah, its probably all about optimising the performance characteristics of each car.

i can't speak for the type r having never driven one, but a vr6 can be very rapid in the correct hands, or beaten by a standard nova gsi in the wrong hands...on a roads this is. when i picked mine up after i bought it i wasn't familiar with the characteristics, and my mate (who is one hell of a driver) kept getting the jump on me in his standard nova gsi! once i'd got it sussed, and got onto the motorway i left him.

Just read this thread and have to say that the Integra Type R's were quicker round a track than my standard Corrado VR6. Went up against 2 or 3.

Don't think the Civics have quite as good handling balance.

Nothing in it on the straights but they handle like touring cars!

They are harsh on the road though (as a passenger anyway).

Never understood the fascination with ricers. Characterless, bland, flimsy, crap. Don't see many with high mileage on the go, because you need to rape the shit out of them to do anything and that makes them explode.

They're like an ugly bloke who's good in bed. No matter how crap you are, you're good looking, and you'll still get more sex, while the Honda's will have to be content with beating off over the lingerie pages in their mum's Freemans catalogue.

Torque - Did someone say Torque???

I personally like the Ingegra, and would have bought one a year ago or so..... i did beat one in my R5 Turbo though, that took the smarmy smile of that guys face!

It's a nice car, but Jap build quality leaves a LOT to be desired compared to the VAG stuff, my Golf feels much more solid then the Evo, and it's £11k cheaper lol

i just killed another civic type r thats 3 now theres not much in it till 60ish then i just start pulling away id love to know what the gearing is on a civic/vtec cuz i think he changed to 3rd a fraction before me then in 3rd gear the vrs luuuuuuuuurvly torque just dragged it away from the peaky civic