general petrol costs of the vr6 help

speaking from experience of paying silly amout of money to insure a BMW at 19 id say wait, looking back i was a tit and i was (ONLY) paying £2K but when i turned 20 i could insure a mk2 GTI for £600

If your mate needs to sell the car and you really want it buy it and store it. Wait until you are 20 and have your 2 years NCB and then SHOP AROUND. have you tried Brentacre, Adrian Flux , HIC - these companies all like young people in high risk cars and could save you a fortune. They also offer up to 15% discount if you go through the owners clubs.

To pay £400PM insurance is beyond bonkers, especially for the sake of a few months. Since you already have a 1.4CL why not continue driving that until your current policy expires and then renew with the VR and then sell the CL.

Believe me save the cash now an then treat yourself when you finish uni ;-)

pete insurance has gone up this year tho last year i paid 660 and the best i cud get this year was 750 wiv nothin changin nd that was lookin everywhere

but agree wiv every 1 else i kno this sound stupid but wait till ur 21 nd save 3k put it in the bank 4 a house as u will find that is more important than a car

My insurance came down for 4th year running now

I dont know why young people end up paying so much money on insurance!! Im 19 with only 1 years NCB and I pay £133 a month with KwikFit - but that was with a hefty £300 deposit.

As for fuel economy, that's what my issue was when I first got my VR6. I was constantly looking at the trip computer, constantly watching my pennies disappear at the petrol station - but now, I dont care! Its a VR6 lol, Yeah I might spent £150+ a month on petrol, but at least I have a car that makes me smile when I drive it.

I use my car for work and at the moment, the mpg is sitting on 12-17. If there's an empty stretch of road, then I put my foot down and trust me - you will always find yourself looking for the next bit of straight ;) Most Ive ever got out of my VR is 24mpg, I do mostly urban driving with the odd motorway thrown in here and there. If you are using it for work (depending on traffic and how many times you're stopping and starting), the mpg is gonna be poo.

lol petrol prices for me aint the issue, I get circa 37mpg nearly everyday 27 mile commute with 22 miles on m-way :D

The big issue is maintenance and parts costs, one month its road tax, another month its tyres, another month its insurance, then brake pads, then bushes, so on and so on and so on...

It would really help if you knew how to do a lot of the stuff yourself? that way at least you could save on labour charges.

Seriuosly, be prepared for the maintenance costs!

Insurance wise Id agree with most, there really is no point using all that money on just insrurance. if you realllyyy really want to drive it, keep your 1.3 an stay insured fully comp on that, that gives you 3rd party cover on most other cars, jus get ur parents or sum1 to insure themselves on the vr6 but ud have to register the car in their name too. if u stack it and its your fault, just remember they aint gonna repair your car! so drive carefully :)

lol petrol prices for me aint the issue' date=' I get circa 37mpg nearly everyday 27 mile commute with 22 miles on m-way :D

The big issue is maintenance and parts costs, one month its road tax, another month its tyres, another month its insurance, then brake pads, then bushes, so on and so on and so on...

It would really help if you knew how to do a lot of the stuff yourself? that way at least you could save on labour charges.

Seriuosly, be prepared for the maintenance costs!

37MPG - Wish I could get somewhere near that!

Insurance wise Id agree with most, there really is no point using all that money on just insrurance. if you realllyyy really want to drive it, keep your 1.3 an stay insured fully comp on that, that gives you 3rd party cover on most other cars, jus get ur parents or sum1 to insure themselves on the vr6 but ud have to register the car in their name too. if u stack it and its your fault, just remember they aint gonna repair your car! so drive carefully :)

[/quote']

• 1 month later...

I have a lovely B road in wales to work everyday no badge on the back. So i get a lot of farmers sons in mid Wales driving Rover MG ZR's and Saxos doing their best to take me.. ;) So I blame them totally for my 15mpg £90 a week fuel habbit. But I tell my wife I dont smoke and Im not a big drinker so really she is my only bad addiction. Oh and the £980 a year insurance.

My wife said to me the other night "I Love You Hunni" I replied "I Love You Too Hun, In fact I will tell you how much I love you almost as much as my VR and thats a lot".

So Im still on the sofa anyways.

Cheers lads yes £800 from a guy in watford the car is fantastic easily worth twice what I paid for her. The history and german documentation is un-real. http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?285423 this fella reckins the one he is selling is better. ;) thats why he is struggling to sell her. I like both your motors expression of ones self lol.

I know lol people will be askin had you got your specs on cos they look nothing alike ........... and it was you who put the link up to my car so you clearly have seen them both I cant understand how he could ask that sort of money then remove all the nice bits lol I think his best bit is let her run on ebay I know I had a bargain but still. ;) I hate to put any fellow VR driver down but the better option would be 12 months test at least. Cheers for the plug about my rims aswell chap ;)

Another input for you mate, iv just turned 20 in the last week and have been running my VR from about last august.

I had the 1.4, 1.8 , and 2.0 8v golfs but youll never get the same feeling of a VR. Its got to be one of these things you have to have if you like mk3s i think. You'll find youll love it so much you wont worry about the costs in the end.

Although saying that the insurance you would be paying seems crazy. Im just 20 with 1 years no claims and im paying 960 a year. Thats with admiral fully comp.

I travel from glasgow-edinburgh every week and find motorway driving sitting at 60-70 isnt bad on fuel atall and can do the milage on about quarter a tank. I can get over 200miles out a tank and thats wil the occasional blast and driving sensible.

If you really think its going to be a downfall money wise you should just plough some more money into your 1.4 at the minute and save for a vr in a year or so.

I know lol people will be askin had you got your specs on cos they look nothing alike ........... and it was you who put the link up to my car so you clearly have seen them both I cant understand how he could ask that sort of money then remove all the nice bits lol I think his best bit is let her run on ebay I know I had a bargain but still. ;) I hate to put any fellow VR driver down but the better option would be 12 months test at least. Cheers for the plug about my rims aswell chap ;)

yours looks lots better bigger wheels and bodykit dunno how he can ask so much without mot