.:R32 engine into a mk3

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it Sharky, cheers for the pic, paints a 1000 words!

Another thing I've thought of is the electric water pump. On the MK5 it sits in front of the block behind the radiator, but it's easier to just use the 12V coolant hoses and mount it in the normal place, and just extend the pump loom over to it.

I don't know why VW moved the waterpumps to the front. 1.8Ts are the same.

Aye will do buddy' date=' may ahve to offer C2 a few beers for the privelage, but if i had it all on paper in one place isntead of spread out across a forum thread it would be alot better.

[/quote']

Aye spot on matey

I only found out about an R32 pedal being needed today!!! lol

Yer thats something i never knew about either. Mind i have been looking at paying £5k and giving the car to Storm to do the whole job. Reading through this though makes it seem RELATIVELY easy, relatively being the operative word lol.

Aye will do buddy' date=' may ahve to offer C2 a few beers for the privelage, but if i had it all on paper in one place isntead of spread out across a forum thread it would be alot better.

[/quote']

Aye spot on matey

I only found out about an R32 pedal being needed today!!! lol

Yer thats something i never knew about either. Mind i have been looking at paying £5k and giving the car to Storm to do the whole job. Reading through this though makes it seem RELATIVELY easy' date=' relatively being the operative word lol.

[/quote']

Ive emailed storm before but they never got back to me, neither did stealth

Do you lose your heaters if you dump the aux water pump like you do if you lose the standard header tank?

Nope, mine's still nice and toasty :-)

How does the coolant maintain system pressure with no header tank? Is this some kind of 'cleaned engine bay' thing?

I'm not sure if the aux pump is there to 'assist' the main pump, or just to circulate water after shut down to avoid localised hotspots round the back of the block, where the hot manifold starts 'wicking' heat into the head.

Either way, I binned it, and have not yet suffered any consequences. I will one day put another pump back on, but a bigger more powerful one.

Do you lose your heaters if you dump the aux water pump like you do if you lose the standard header tank?

How does the coolant maintain system pressure with no header tank? Is this some kind of 'cleaned engine bay' thing?

something like that Kev ;)

i'll be either running an E36 or Fiat Brava rad with built in tank anyway

Ive emailed storm before but they never got back to me' date=' neither did stealth

[/quote']

Ah i rang them. I also rang Awesome who quoted me "well over 10k mate"!!! Then proceeded to try and sell me a 1.8T conversion - yer, coz thats what i asked for!!

I reackon if you got everything you needed and say spent £2k colalting bits, then someone would install it for £2k???? it would only be a labour charge then??

It was just the fact that if anything went wrong i could take the car back to them. Also they said that price would incl. setting up the car on the rollers and sort the gearing so i didn't just get a load of wheelspin in first and second due to the remap that was included. Didn't mind paying that for the sake of peace of mind and better overall performance!

Apparently new Polos have electric heaters instead of heater matrixes Sharky. Could be an option?

£10K, LOL! Some companies quote daft prices like that just to get you off the phone and / or to see if you're serious or not. The actual price would be less than £10K I suspect, but they have to allow for 'unexpected' costs. Trouble is, you'll be waiting for weeks, maybe months as they'll just fit it in around other jobs and not devote their time to it.

"Sorting the gearing" I suspect means toning down the throttle response as it's very vicious with the standard mapping. They take some finesse to drive smoothly at low road speeds!

My advice is to stick the lump in yourself because it really is not hard and you'll save yourself a big whack in labour costs.

The cost of converting a big box of loom and ECU into a massively smaller loom and pre-programmed with a proven 270-280hp map, ready to fit and fire up is ~ £800 from Stealth. A remap from them is normally around £350 so imo that's pretty good value. They've done quite a few now and are dab hands at it. Just make sure you give them everything from the same car, not a mix and match of MK4 and MK5 wiring as that does complicate matters and adds cost.

I think VAG-Doctor come in at a similar price but they prefer to have the whole car there I think. Not sure what C2 charge but either way, if ECUs and wiring isn't your bag, I highly recommend letting the experts do it.

exactly what i plan to do Kev

sourced a low milage 4mo lump with complete loom (not just engine side) ECU, clocks etc looking for spare OBD2 loom now to send the lot off

as set out the lump should go in fairly easy and if the wirings good and proper should be doable over a bank holiday

Yep, sounds good!

It may appear that I'm making myself out to be the expert with this, but I'm not, LOL!! Just passing on what I've learned along the way with helping a mate with his install :-)

I've still got a 24V lump to install in my own car at some point. Not aided by my dealer mate telling me VAG have a brand new AQP 24V block (3.2 from an early TT) complete with pistons, crank etc, ready assembled for £450 inc VAT! Don't need that sort of temptation when I'm trying to budget!!!