.:R32 engine into a mk3

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont think an install guide would be in their interest, its the business after all!

a buying guide would be good though, lets start one going

engine (goes without saying)

ECU

loom (how much do we need? engine harness, or anything pre-ECU?)

downpipe

uprated mounts

modified front mount bracket

ive read different things about mk4/mk5 engines needing the alternator/PAS bracket so could do with some clarification

DBW throttle pedal - read that any from a mk5 should be suitable and it bolts to the floor so shouldnt need any fiddling. also the look piece from the pedal TB

ive read different things about mk4/mk5 engines needing the alternator/PAS bracket so could do with some clarification

A MK5 engine has electric power steering, therefore it doesnt have a PAS hydraulic pump on the engine. To fit the MK5 engine you will need to use the hydraulic pump because this is the method the older cars use. To mount a PAS hydraulic pump on the MK5 engine you will need MK4 24v PAS bracket and pump.

A MK5 engine also a returnless fuel system, which means there is no return fuel line and no fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

Yer Kev thats what i'm thinking. Drop the lump in myself with help from whoever i can get help from then send all the electrical gubbins' date=' or as u say full car and gubbins, to ppl that know what they are doing. Last time i looked at a wiring diagram i thought i was looking at a Magic Eye puzzle!!

[/quote']

Perhaps the first one of us three to start the project could invite the other two to help/learn as we went along??

good way of getting experience and learning about it, im sure we could all bring something to the table??

I for one and very good at drinking beer and rolling fags!!!

If you have a MK3, fitting a MK4 pedal is a NIGHtMARE. As there is a big metal dash bar restricting access to where you need to work. and the fuse box is VERY close too. It is almost impossible to get the room to work down there.

The MK2 based cars are ALOT easier. The pedal box simply needs the throttle pedal removing, and a bracket welding on the MK4 pedal.

The cost of converting a big box of loom and ECU into a massively smaller loom and pre-programmed with a proven 270-280hp map' date=' ready to fit and fire up is ~ £800 from Stealth. A remap from them is normally around £350 so imo that's pretty good value. They've done quite a few now and are dab hands at it. Just make sure you give them everything from the same car, not a mix and match of MK4 and MK5 wiring as that does complicate matters and adds cost.

[/quote']

Do you think it'd be any more expensive for Stealth to load a F/I map onto the 24v ecu instead of N/A?

^^ i wouldnt of thought so, but generally looking at £500 ish?? have to take into account the use of the rolling road and time for any glitches to be resolves.

I believe Vince at stealth will put a tailored map onto your ECU then run the car with his laptop in to ensure theres no pwoer spikes and that its fuelling correctly etc etc, and he can re-work the map from his laptop until its running smoooooth

Yer Kev thats what i'm thinking. Drop the lump in myself with help from whoever i can get help from then send all the electrical gubbins' date=' or as u say full car and gubbins, to ppl that know what they are doing. Last time i looked at a wiring diagram i thought i was looking at a Magic Eye puzzle!!

[/quote']

Perhaps the first one of us three to start the project could invite the other two to help/learn as we went along??

good way of getting experience and learning about it, im sure we could all bring something to the table??

I for one and very good at drinking beer and rolling fags!!!

Good idea matey but i live all the way in Carlisle!! Missions!

aye, thats why ive been asking for a shopping list, from what i gather...

Engine - Donor car

ECU and loom - Donor car

MAF - Donor car

Downpipe - C2

Front mount - C2

MK5 pedal - Donor car

Then you jsut need to send the ECU and Loom off to stealth who return it completed and with a fitting guide

Everything else appears to be plug and play

IF you are going to use the VR6 5 speed gearbox, you need the following from the 24v donor car:

The engine complete with the wiring loom that goes round it.

The ECU

The loom that goes from the ECU to the car, which has the wiring for the lambda probes and the MAF on it.

BOTH Pre-cat lambda probes.

The MAF and the air inlet pipe

The thottle pedal and the wiring that goes to it (6 pin)

We can supply the following:

The spacer for the front mount.

A plug and play wiring loom to fit a CE2 fusebox. (We do both MK2 and 3)

ECU software (immobilizer defeat - MAP etc)

Downpipe.

IF you are going to use the VR6 5 speed gearbox' date=' you need the following from the 24v donor car:

The engine complete with the wiring loom that goes round it.

The ECU

The loom that goes from the ECU to the car, which has the wiring for the lambda probes and the MAF on it.

is this seperate to the rest of the engine loom then?

BOTH Pre-cat lambda probes.

The MAF and the air inlet pipe

The thottle pedal and the wiring that goes to it (6 pin)

We can supply the following:

The spacer for the front mount.

A plug and play wiring loom to fit a CE2 fusebox. (We do both MK2 and 3)

could you PM me the cost of these two please?

ECU software (immobilizer defeat - MAP etc)

Downpipe.