Speed Cameras

well' date=' if you can't see that theres no cops then you shouldn't be speeding.

[/quote']

You can be speeding but not recklessly. What happens if you're doing a few mph over the limit.......that's still speeding and you'll still get busted for it. When the word 'Speeding' is used, people naturally assume that you're talking about doing 100mph in a 30mph zone! 1mph over the limit and that's technically speeding.

I'd never had a radar detector until recently, but i must say it makes you more aware of what's around you.

What I found they were useful for is that they warn you of speed traps ahead so you know they're there before you see them, and it can prepare you for cars travelling in front of you slamming on their brakes as they see plod parked up in his T5.

What I found they were useful for is that they warn you of speed traps ahead so you know they're there before you see them' date=' and it can prepare you for cars travelling in front of you slamming on their brakes as they see plod parked up in his T5.[/quote']

Exactly, i use mine as a preventative measure if anything else.

I understand that. But' date=' what i'm also trying to say is that they can be used as a prevention rather than a tool to slam on the brakes when it picks up a signal.

You trying to tell me that you sit at 70mph on the motorway then?

[ Edited Wed Oct 06 2004, 02:34PM ']

god no! lol

maybe its just me, i don't like having to trust technology.

What I found they were useful for is that they warn you of speed traps ahead so you know they're there before you see them' date=' and it can prepare you for cars travelling in front of you slamming on their brakes as they see plod parked up in his T5.[/quote']

TBH what you really should be looking at are road angels, but there dash mounted.....you could look at the new road angel, very compact and windscreen mounted.

Also what happens if you get busted by a SPEC camera as I did twice!! If your traveling out of your home town you don't know what is where. Im an observative driver and never miss a camera, but you won't visably see a SPEC as you do a gatso. SPECS are a fooking drivers nightmare!!

a friend of mine got caught by a laser over 900 yards away, you'd need pretty amazing vision to see that, there were three 'very observant' people in the car at the time who all drive high performance cars and are more than averagely observant! a detector would defo been useful in this situation, anybody who drives purely on the warnings from a detector is a tit, however they can be a useful aid in my opinion

well, by law they have to be bright yellow, plus they have one round thing to each side, so they do look a fair bit different to cctv cams.

i didn't know the above ones were there until i saw them. ones in northampton are bloody obvious though.

with mobile units' date=' if they can see you, you can see tham ;)

[/quote']

yes, obviously there needs to be a line of sight between both, however unless you happen to drive with binoculars strapped to your head to compete with their stationary sighting equipment I reckon you're at a fair disadvantage at a distance of 900+ yards.

For the record I've never had one either, happy doing it my way. Only caught once fair and square ;-)

Well, i drove for 9 years without points and then got caught twice in 2 days and got 8 points in total. Was on a road i drive down at least 4 times a day and have done for the last 4 years. Still dont know what got me and from where... A detector would have paid for itself in the fines and insurance premiums...

[/quote']

yes, obviously there needs to be a line of sight between both, however unless you happen to drive with binoculars strapped to your head to compete with their stationary sighting equipment I reckon you're at a fair disadvantage at a distance of 900+ yards.

LMFAO.....class :D:P

[/quote']

quote]

PMSL :P:P

No dectector can completely protect you from a laser trap anyway. The only time they work is if the laser operator targets a car ahead of you. If you're the only person who looks like they're speeding and they hit you first, then by the time your decector detects it, they've got you.