Speed Cameras

the first link works,

I enjoyed the bit where it says "the officer simply moves onto the next target" when they can't get a reading. If only that were true ;-)

With lasers its generally true to say if they can see you they can measure you, no time to react at all, detectors are one thing, jammers another...

This is a subject I'm pretty well up on, as a member of the Association of British Drivers and an active campaigner agains the misuse of speed cameras.

When people say they "don't speed", what they really mean that they always drive at a safe speed for the road and conditions. This is the way it should be.

The trouble is, when Local Authorities take a safe, wide urban dual carriageway bounded by armcos, slash the speed limit from 50 to 30 for no obvious reason and you get snapped doing a perfectly safe 40mph at 11PM, the law sees you as no different to someone who blasts past a school at 4PM doing 60mph.

This is because most speed cameras are deployed as a means of raising revenue. It's yet another stealth tax, cleverly marketed as a safety initiative so that no-one argues with it. Although the bulk of the money goes to the Treasury, Police and Local Authorities get a cut of the money too, ensuring their total co-operation. The perfect scam.

If you are like me and rely on your driving licence to earn a living, it is pure stupidity not to take precautions.

Yes, you can try rigidly sticking to the speed limits. Not too difficult in areas that you know well, but venture into unfamiliar territory and you'll find yourself spending more time looking at the side of the road for speed limit change signs and hidden cameras than looking at the road ahead. Your chances of having an accident will therefore be INCREASED. Not good.

A much better defence is a GPS-based detector (Origin B2, Road Angel & TrafCam are the most popular ones). This will warn you well in advance of all fixed speed traps (including SPECS) AND tell you what speed you should be doing past them. This leaves you free to concentrate on safe driving.

OK, a GPS system will not warn you of mobile speed traps - the vans and coppers holding guns, but these are (fortunately) quite rare, as the number of Traffic Cops has been drastically reduced due to unmanned fixed cameras representing more prosecutions to the pound. You would have to be very unlucky (or a complete nutter) to get done by mobile traps 4 times in 3 years.

I have an Origin B2, and used to have an LRC-100 diffuser. I sold the diffuser 'cos it was a waste of money. By the time the diffuser can "see" the speed trap, so can you. You can't be prosecuted for seeing a speed trap and applying the brakes, but you MIGHT be prosecuted for using a diffuser. Not worth it, in my opinion, but if having a diffuser will give you more peace of mind, then go for it. They're ridiculously overpriced though.

The Origin B2 is a superb unit. Can't speak highly enough of it. If it wasn't for my B2, I would be talking to you now from a dole queue.

Hope this helps!

[ Edited Fri Oct 08 2004, 12:08PM ]

i was stuck between getting the new road angel or the b2, true that there is not that many mobile traps anymore but i can get the LE-30 diffuser for £260, thats the reason i was thinking,

i was also thinking that if you put one on the back of the car does it confuse gatso's or do they run on a different frequency?

Gatsos and Truvelos use Radar (radio waves). The majority of hand-held guns and camera vans use Laser (Infra-red light).

A Laser diffuser will only jam infra-red. So no effect on Gatsos.

You used to be able to buy Radar Jammers, but the sale of these was outlawed several years ago.

£260 is a good price for a Laser Jammer. My LRC-100 cost me £350.

[ Edited Fri Oct 08 2004, 12:07PM ]