Right i know this has been covered in various threads but its all a lil bit confusing for me!

I get the feeling it could be time for a new gearbox and clutch so what are my options?! I have around 1k to spend but would rather keep costs as low as possible obviously.

Clutch wise, any of these any good? : fleabay

Open to all options and ideas so give me ur best guys!

i havent set any plans yet. Like i said i have £1000 to spare, possibly more if needs be so any option upto that and a lil above will be considered.

Gearbox: I'm not sure on rebuild (ifi take that route then what upgrades should i make?) or new box (if new box then what are the options here?)

Power wise she is only running 206bhp at the mo but looking at a turbo in a year or so so possibly worthwhile spending a little bit more money now to save money later?

I know this is a little of a "how long is a peice of string" thread but A) i want to start changing gears without taking 30mins to get it into 1st and without missing 3rd all the time! and B) it may be of help to others looking into transmission options at a later date.

Cheer ppl :D

If it was me i think id put a LSD, faster final drive and a standard vw clutch. Maybe disel 5th gear in you want to go FI. Don't think you can get a new box for under a grand but i don't think you need one lol, It realy does sound like your gearlinkage isn't set up properly hence it been hard to find gears, Go to a garage and get them to set it up

If you are going turbo and want more than 400+hp dont use the 02a box. Spend your £1000 fitting an 02m 6 speed instead.

I have exactly what Phat VR6 has stated and cost me over a grand to do with almost everything except some of the gears and both shafts being replaced. I will be selling this later in the year when I go 02m.

If you are going turbo and want more than 400+hp dont use the 02a box. Spend your £1000 fitting an 02m 6 speed instead.

I have exactly what Phat VR6 has stated and cost me over a grand to do with almost everything except some of the gears and both shafts being replaced. I will be selling this later in the year when I go 02m.

haha I want to go 02m one day... You going to keep the 4 wheel drive? Also what chassie is your new project? Mk3??

"No going to stick with my current front wheel drive setup. 4 wheel drive is to much work unless I can get myself a mint late 5dr Mulberry lhd syncro."

ask jake aka vrsick he has a mate or relation thats selling just what your after

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...