bodge's bodge build, (french tailgate and rust repair guide)

Hello.

Ive got a new car so I thought id post some pics up of what ive done to it. Some before and after pics...

The day I got it back from london. Its rust free and got no dents. Theres a few little dings NUFF stone chips the odd scratch but doesn't look bad.. Its a 1.8 driver at the moment and cost me £700

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Few days later and I added the coilovers off my old VR, Mk4 headlights, Removed that red line on the bumper, painted the fogs, removed the rear boot spoiler, badges, wiper, fitted my debadge grill, smooth boot plinth and single wiper

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

Then off with the old pooey nail 4 stud drum brakes and on with the new VR brakes. Polly bushs everywhere I could bodge them, Braded lines, new brake pipes, green stuff pads ect. Gave it a lick of paint while i was there (have no idea why lol) Also all the VR seats streering wheel glove box ect has gone in it

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Going to get a few more pic of it after a good clean polish and wax

Quick before and after shot

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Next thing I want to do is smooth and paint the plastic bumpers as they look pants, Should look somthink like this I hope (did this on paint lol)

newone.jpg

Thats it for now.. Will update when I do more to it

• 2 months later...

Just started to smooth/ french my boot. Thought id try and do a guide for anyone interested in doing it

1st Remove the badge and keep this bit as its the prefix size to make your plate

IMG_1589.jpg

Draw round it and cut out of 1.5mm steel with jigsaw

IMG_1588.jpg

File to make for a good fit, You want to make it sit as flush as possible without it sticking out

IMG_1591.jpg

Grind away wiper hole till flush

IMG_1595.jpg

Remove paint around badge hole to be welded

IMG_1593.jpg

You need to protect the glass as welding splatter and grinder sparks melts into the surface, I used thin ply as cloth didn't do the job

IMG_1596.jpg

Tack weld the plate in

IMG_1597.jpg

Fully weld plate, Do a few spots welds at a time and cool with cloth, This stops the metal distorting with the heat

IMG_1598.jpg

Grind welds off smooth so there just below the surface of the tailgate skin

IMG_1599.jpg

P38 filler used on top (1/2 hour to dry)

IMG_1600.jpg

Rub down 120 grit, Then coat of high build filler.primer, Finish with 600 grit, Use block to get a flat surface not your bare hand. Did a quick coat of paint to protect it and see if its level

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

Today

IMG_1602.jpg

lol hope so but ive never smoothed anything before, Done abit of welding and panel repair in the past tho so it kind of helps. Ill find out if its any good once painted and in the sun light :S

Done abit more

Cardboard template, Turns out its just a 48mm strip of metal, No awkward shapes to work with

IMG_1607.jpg

Tack welded to get square

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

Fully tack welded

IMG_1610.jpg

Realy take your time hear, I worked 1" at a time cooling with wet rag but it still wasn't enough

IMG_1611.jpg

Fully welded

IMG_1612.jpg

Grind welds off flush

IMG_1613.jpg

Have a perv lol, Note the distorted metal, This means more filler later on :-( , Note really ideal

IMG_1614.jpg

First layer of filler, Best to work in thin layers and build it up, quick rub down between to find where more needs adding

IMG_1616.jpg

More filler on low spots

IMG_1617.jpg

Rub down and even more filler

IMG_1618.jpg

coat of high build primer to see if its flat and shaped properly, Light coat of black shows up low spots when you rub it down

IMG_1618.jpg

not quite right yet as you can see, Look at the line that travels across the tail gate, Getting this strate is quite hard and takes abit of time

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

Quick coat of black to see what it looks like shape wise, Still loads of imperfections but doesn't look to bad

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Cheers dude. I'm nearly there now. If i'm honest it has got abit scary at times and i questioned if i should have started it in the first place :-d

I'm not in any rush as im kind of liking the red tail gate for a rat rod kind of look lol

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Next few days and the tail gate should be on and i can give the car a good clean

• 2 weeks later...

right, rubbed it back down again

IMG_1627.jpg

Now more happy with the shape wipe over with these, You should do this before every coat of paint

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

Let dry and then another coat of high build

IMG_1631.jpg

1 Hour for that to dry then rub down with 600

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

Note have ive left the line to do last

IMG_1650.jpg

Not quite happy there so i added another layer (i blame it all on the welding lol)

IMG_1651.jpg

Finally happy with it, Flat the line with thin strip as to not make the flats uneven

IMG_1652.jpg

Now i pushed the seals down and im going to flick them back up with the knife after its fully dry

IMG_1654.jpg

Clean all the shizzle out

IMG_1655.jpg

Masked up for Grey primer

IMG_1657.jpg

Two coats of Grey primer, 15 minutes between each coat, Leave to dry for 24 hours

IMG_1659.jpg

First light coat of black

IMG_1663.jpg

Two coats after, Leave 15 minutes flash off time between coats

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

Leave 24 hours and flat down with 1200 grit to take gloss away from surface

IMG_1675.jpg

Two coats of lacquer, 15 minutes between coats

IMG_1670.jpg

DONE lol :-d

:-( Nope it isn't tbf, I wasn't inspecting it to be perfect been out of spray cans, 80% of the time its covered it dirt anyway lol, After 2 weeks when its dryed im going to cut it, polish it and wax it and it should look better but def not factory standard

When I can afford it im going to buy compressor and do the red one, Probably doing somthing a little more unique with it, With a proper spray gun i should be able to get a thicker more glossy finish, The spray cans didn't seem to put in on thick enough, Failing that get a body shop to put a proper coat on or wait until i can afford a full respray

Im thinking about doing the bumper next with spray cans? What u think, or should i wait till i can get a proper coat of paint??

i've done various panels with spray cans and to be honest with decent prep work and plenty of time and effort with the flatting, cutting and polishing, you can get quite a decent finish. obviously not as good as a propper job but good enough to not be noticeably shite!!

I do have a massive compressor and all types of guns, but unless you have a booth / oven, you still have to rely on the trusty polisher to finish things off. you really can pollish a turd ;-)

Just dont skimp on the clear coat / laquer, you will never get a decent shine without a good coat of it.

• 1 year later...

lol thought id lost this tread. cheers mate.

Made a 2nd one now, Its deeper and ive chopped as much weight as i can out of it. :) and got some hella all reds

Changed quite a bit tbf

Photo0200-1.jpg

Photo0201.jpg

Photo0043.jpg

stripped out carbon bonnet ect. still a bit of a nail but it will get there

Photo0148-1.jpg

Photo0149-1.jpg

hidden brake pipes, bias valve in cab battery in boot