Just had my chains done - very pleased

Well, I finally bit the bullet and Dave (dlea) and Liam at Manor Park Mechanics in Wilmslow did my chains last week.

Also had the clutch done at the same time and they sorted out a leaky exhaust joint too for me.

Couldn't be happier with the service they give there and the price was very good too.

It has now transformed the car from a rattley, blowey thing that annoyed me a little each time I started it to a silky smooth motor again! It now sounds smoother than when I first aquired the car and I can't believe how much different the clutch is, sooo much lighter but I hadn't realized it had gotten so heavy. *-)

Hopefully that's it for chains and clutches for a good while now. :D

I can't believe how much different the clutch is' date=' sooo much lighter but I hadn't realized it had gotten so heavy. *-)

[/quote']

SNAP, when I first had the VR I assumed the clutch was so much heavier than the valvers due to the extra torque, and power, needing to go through it. Since Carl did mine they've been the other way around.

Dlea will get mine at some point, hopefully not for a while though ;-)

Must also say I was impressed, neigh shocked, watching Dave change his brothers drive shafts in the middle of the camping field at Santa Pod.

TG

Must also say I was impressed' date=' neigh shocked, watching Dave change his brothers drive shafts in the middle of the camping field at Santa Pod.

[/quote']

Now that's talent!

I hope Dave doesn't mind me revealing the bill as I think it's a bit of a bargain - £481 inc all parts except the hydraulic bolt which I'd already changed. Pretty sure they didn't charge me for sorting the exhaust either.

I'm just glad there's somewhere I can take both our cars too that I can trust will do a good job.

I've also recommended the garage to a few people at work who have given good feedback and passed on the word to others in the office which is all good.

Kilokiller is based in Stoke-on-Trent, and will do that work for a similar price, if not cheaper - dont be paying these silly over inflated prices that places like awesome GTI charge - his number is 07957204365.

TheGoth has had his done there previously, and he's built my Mk2 VR6, as have various other people on here :)

Pete

I do yes, Its not gonna cost you anymore than 45 quid from london to stoke..... I had an interview down there a couple year ago and I just took it steady in the mk3

I'm sure places like the phirm and stealth still charge over 700 quid at the minimum.

P

Get a quote Steve, or at least ask for a "guide price" then base your decision on that.

Probably need to factor in somewhere to stay etc unless you've got friends somewhere local or plan to get the train back (which might be cost effective if you go off peak).

I'm sure places like the phirm and stealth still charge over 700 quid at the minimum.

P

That much?! :o Wow that is a big difference then and def worth the extra time / miles. I can prob stay at a mates or if not, me and the missus enjoy camping so we might make a long weekend of it in the summer sometime and camp somewhere nearby.

Cheers for the advice Pete / Buzzark

Mine is due to be dropped of with dlea next week hopefully, some places are a joke for chains. i rang up awesome gti and they refused to do it unless i let them rebuild the engine to save me coming back with other probs, and subsequently qouted me 2500 -3000. i could get an engine tranplant for that sort of money LOL

• 3 months later...

Dlea will get mine at some point' date=' hopefully not for a while though ;-)

[/quote']

The time has come. She had so many niggley little things that it made sense to leave her 'up North' after Tatton.

Hopefully next time I'm in a convoy the people behind won't have to hold their breath at roundabouts.

chains have already been done thanks to Kilokilla.

as the smoke hasn't got any worse in the 2 years it's been doing it we are fairly certain it's not the rings/bores

main jobs are valves, hg, engine mounts , a new rad and replacing heater matrix.