HOW DOES BASS SOUND IN THE MK3's??

I visited my local ICE dealer a while ago to get a quote on sound. Though there was a lot to choose from, i settled for the full JL audio setup, either with the 12" W6 or W7 sub. I asked him about the rattling from the boot or anywhere else. He said Golfs/Polos all round make good ICE cars. Not much rattling to be noticed. In noticed a few cars that have loud systems, but the rattling from the boot just ruins, it kills the sharpness of the bass. Anyone put a sub in their boot? any advice?

Hi Amit

I've got a 10" JL boxed sub in my boot & it doesn't rattle although I do only use it to compliment the music I'm playing rather than allowing it to become the overall noise as some younger drivers tend to do! I think by choosing JL ur going 4 a quality sound so it shdnt b a problem 4u. However, bass frequencies are in the same band as roadnoise, so all cars can use some kind of deadening material. I've got my boot & other area's lined with Dynamat - this really works!

Binliner hit it on the head. We had this conversation yesterday @ the J29 meet. What is the point in having something so loud that it just becomes noise?

Its like some of the idiots that you see at shows whose main aim it seems is to see how many car alarms they can set off by cranking up their stereos full belt!

LOL at NOVA BOYZ, that is a similar conversation as I had with a friend recently,

Q; Why do shite cars always come screaming past u on the motorway.

A; Coz they are trying to prove something.

In a Vr most things can fly past but we can sit at 70/80/90 MPH knowing full well if we wish to go then we will see them later, alot later.

As Vr drivers we don't have to make a statement, we drive a statement. Quite fitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm.. their are loads of theories on sound and quality.

The golf in my experience is already very well soundproofed, u may want to soundproof the tailgate and stick the number plate on to stop it vibrating first and if thats still not enough do as Patrick has done and soundproof the boot..and maybe the doors ( this will all add weight though)

Get a sealed box if u want tighter sharper base, at the expense of loudness. ported boxes are generally louder but harder to get high quality sound out of unless the box has been properly tuned for certain frequencies.. A good twin woofer box will set u back about 200, and would make even a shit speaker sound good. Well worth the outlay, although i know it seems a lot at first glance.

HOPE THIS HELPS

• 3 weeks later...

I just fitted a Pioneer 12" sub and a Lightning Audio 2 ch amp (150W RMS).... To be honest, I am actually surprised as to how good it sounds!! Just wanted a cheap set up and knew a mate selling the stuff out of his car. The standard speakers are run off my Alpine HU and sound great as the bass it turned right down on them all...

In my last mk3, I had a Rockford 4ch amp, with 2 channels (bridged) running a MacAudio sub, and the other 2 running DLS components. When I had this I got the front doors Dynamatted... Sounds was clear in the front, and no rattle.

I find that the Mk3 Golf is pretty good for soundproofing - with the set up I put in today, no rattles, even when it is up pretty loud.

Only downside - it drowns out the VR6!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pushing 137.9 DB with 2 12" subs facing the tailgate, from the inside, you can't hear any rattles, but outside, the boot lid and other various bits rattle so much its embarressing! The Golf for SQ is a great base, tbh, I'm bored of my bass and rarely drive around with it up at a deafening rate! I'd sooner sell it all which I will when I have my new engine and simply have a 10" sub and a set of comps! Just sound proof your boot floor and the lid, but you'll always get the lock mechanism rattles...

• 1 month later...

I can highly recomend a good 10 or 12 sub in the boot but the important part is a good headunit, like most pioneers have a hipass filter, so u make all the bass go to the sum and the speakers handle the rest, sounds sweet

• 1 month later...

I just put my Rockford 12" Punch sub back in, and tested for rattles. The boot area really rattles from outside, quite embarrasing as Mark said! So today I took the boot door card off and set about determining which bits are rattling. I found it was the plastic recepticles which the door card clips slot into. So I got some rubber plastic sealant and went around each of the plastic recepticals! Boot lid rattle now gone, plus my number plate is glued on using foam pads. However now I can hear rattles around the sides of the rear bumper!! GRRR Not sure how to deal with this one!!

I think it's al about a need 2b noticed - hav u ever noticed that people with cars that r pretty shit seem 2 hav the loudest stereos? Perhaps in their minds it conpensates for drive a nova 1.2! :P

erm i had a shit 1 litre fiesta mk3 with a beast of a stereo the reason being i couldnt afford a nice car now i hav a highline buty not a system lol that will change though ;)